» Camper Redo
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:38 pm by ADOR

» ADOR's Hot Rods
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:09 pm by East

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm by BlindLemon77

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

» My Voodoo Omen case is now empty sitting in our basement...
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am by Rozzinator

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

My latest voodoo projects

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: My latest voodoo projects

Post  Seamaster on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:15 pm

You could be right. Maybe it will come to us.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:30 pm

I was digging through some more random assorted stuff today and look what I found, I thought I had one of these somewhere

3dfx voodoo 5500 pci edition

Well that's the majority of my win 98 box

It posts fine in the p2b but needs minor work. only one fan spins and the other sounds like it has a failing bearing. The 4pin molex connector has a strap over it that solders to the board, somehow it came loose with out damaging the pcb so that has to be resoldered as well.

Now I just need a atx case circa y2k and one of those 20gb drive's that use to come in all the dell p3's
East

View user profile http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Got a lian li PE-01B to use eatx power supplies and a BZ-525 (1 5.25" to 4 2.5") bay adapter for my raid array once solid state disks come down in price.

The finish closely matches the maga. The drive bay adapter is identical and the power supply adapter closely matches with the exception that its not brushed to bring out the grain.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:27 am

You bring back memories of my first 3Dfx Voodoo 1 card with 4MB of memory. Those were in the days when 3D cards were dedicated to 3D. You still needed to run a dedicated 2D card for general apps.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:15 pm

My first card was something similar.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:54 pm

My first dedicated card was a crummy 1 MB 2D card. If I remember correctly, I was able to go all extreme and upgrade it to 2 MB.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:59 am

I remember trying to talk my father into getting a 3D video card for his home computer. Despite the fact that he sold computers, he felt that they were nothing more than a novelty. Well, even parents cannot always be right!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:05 am

Lots of people felt that way when 3D cards first came out. Not only was it a novelty, but it was an expensive novelty. Plus, like anytime there is new hardware, there wasn't much software. Only a handful of games required 3D accelerator support, and many of those games felt like tech demos.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Well, part of my dad's beef was that the thought that they would have no use outside of games. He lacked vision there!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 pm

To his defense, that is how the cards were marketed -- as purely gaming tools. And that holds true even today. Yes, there are professional 3D cards, but they are very different from gaming cards. Use a professional card for gaming and you won't get smooth game play because the frame rate will be too low. Professional cards are about rendering images accurately; they are not about speed.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:38 pm

East

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:26 am

My dad also resisted getting a sound card since he felt that they had no use outside of games . . .
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:45 am

I can only defend your dad for so long here . . .

EastT: Indeed. I can't remember how many computers across how many basements were networked to pull off the special effects in Titanic, but it was a fair many. The processing power required to render the special effects we see on screen is staggering.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:26 am

You really do need to see Monsters and watch the making-of featurette. All of the special effects were done by the director himself on off-the-shelf PCs for literal peanuts. And since I did see the film on the "big screen," I can vouch for the fact that the effects hold up even in a theatre. You could probably do the effects for Titanic on an iPhone nowadays!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:26 pm

I think I may have to order 2 of these for my omen:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130618

for $160 a piece that's a lot of card.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:09 am

Hmmm. I will have to pick up Monsters. I don't doubt the effects are good and I commend the director for doing it himself, but usually budget jobs have problems with realistic lighting and shadows, not to mention movement. Those subtle details add realism but require processing power to do right.

Of course, the difference between good and brilliant is approaching the point where the differences are subtle, rather than drastic. Kind of like audio: You can get very good sound for reasonable prices. Though not always, the big bucks tend to get you incremental improvements.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:37 pm

I am thinking of going with 2 old p4 northbridge heatsinks for the 3dfx. (Got to love the stuff you can salvage off dead boards for future projects) They are a lot beefier then the stock ones, to the point I could probably passively cool it. I was originally considering using socket 7 coolers but they are too large and would probably short things on the pcb.

Hmm Now I just need some thermal adhesive.

On another note the 460 GTX's for my omen are ordered. One will be here late today but the other I am not going to see until Monday (Newegg only had one in stock, had to order the 2nd from tiger)

Edit: I was just thinking about moving my 285gtx to the third slot and using it as a dedicated physx processor. I would have to do some benchmarks to see if there is any actual gain. If not id rather make use of it in my lian li v2000 full tower now that its mostly rebuilt. (Back to the p5n32-e, at least it posts every time unlike the 790i...)
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Seamaster wrote:Hmmm. I will have to pick up Monsters. I don't doubt the effects are good and I commend the director for doing it himself, but usually budget jobs have problems with realistic lighting and shadows, not to mention movement. Those subtle details add realism but require processing power to do right.

Of course, the difference between good and brilliant is approaching the point where the differences are subtle, rather than drastic. Kind of like audio: You can get very good sound for reasonable prices. Though not always, the big bucks tend to get you incremental improvements.

You will be surprised. You will be even more surprised when you watch the featurettes and find out just how many of the things in the film were effects that you probably never suspected. The movie was Garth Edward's feature directing debut, but he has been working in digital effects for some time, mostly in television, and has a reputation for being able to do amazing things with limited means.

ET: Sorry for the semi-hijack. Continue.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Well, I plan to pick up a copy of the movie tomorrow. Then, I just need to find the time to view!

EastT: Clever idea with the heatsinks. Too bad their a tad ugly, but then the Voodoo card wasn't a real looker either.

Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:50 pm

I thought I found a home for the p2b today but it turned out to be already occupied (Complete with aforementioned dell 20gb hdd)

(What it looks like after i dissembled it, cleaned it up and did front panel wire management)

(Not yellowed either)

I wouldn't mind running this instead of the p2b but from what I read recently 98 is not compatible with duel cpu systems. Might give it a shot though. I would be satisfied if it ran on just 1 cpu.

Originally I was going to take all the old crap down there and build my self 1 or 2 vintage pc's and throw the rest out but idk now. some of this stuff is just too cool to throw out regardless of its age.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Memories . . .
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:59 pm

Did some cable management today and put the 2nd 460 in but it is defective. Under 3dmark both cards had 99% gpu utilized but card #2 was at 99c under 100% where as the other card was at 70c under just over 60% fan. I was going to reseat the hs but I am going to let them take care of it because if I has to be rma'd I do not want to catch any flak for removing the hs.. I got tired of fighting with the power supply to fit behind the metal divider so I also installed the power supply extender. It fits perfectly.

At least now most of my power supply related problems are a thing of the past.

I managed to get the flat pcie power cables to reach around through the backplane. I am starting to think that the flat pcie cables might be long enough to use the ninja holes. Ill have to see next time I have the mobo out. So far its been running great so I have had no reason to pull it back out. Its still a bit messy. I temporally disconnected the front lights because I found places to hide the cabling atm I am waiting for a couple of premade sleeved extensions to arrive that I ordered off ebay.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 am

I think you are being a tad overcritical by calling it messy. I think it looks sharp. Too bad about the second 460. Might be best to get a new one since you just picked it up, though reseating the heatsink might do the trick. Still, why deal with a problem when it is new and you can get it replaced?
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Yeah I guess I wasn't clear. What I was saying was I could probably "fix" the problem my self by reseating the heatsink but if that does not do it I do not want to catch flak about removing it when I rma it so I am just going to rma it.

In most cases it is a poorly seated heatsink but with bga chips it is also a possibility that the chip was incorrectly soldered at the factory.

Evga products are really starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Granted all OEM's have a small margin of defective products but either I am really unlucky or evga's QC isn't what it should be.

First my brand new 285gtx was defective (Initially the card was not powering the fan, Then it randomly started powering the fan and ran it at 100% all of the time, the card also suffered from high temperatures and artifacting)
Then I had my evga 790i "experience" which I chalked up to the 790i's memory controller design as others reported a lot of memory incompatibility
Now my 2nd 460 is defective (granted it was a recertified card, but I expect recertified means that the card was actually tested for quality not that some monkey just slapped a recert label on it)

Now I am waiting to see what I get back in the mail. If it too is defective I am going to tell them that I want to return this card for a full credit and apply it towards the costs of a new 460

I really wish they still made abit, dfi and shuttle boards...
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:36 am

I understood what you meant and think we were saying the same thing: That you could probably fix it, but it'd be best to RMA.

DFI was awesome. Any company that overclocks at the factory deserves points (even if the overclocking was relatively modest). I also used to really like EVGA, as they built a solid, reliable product. I guess that is not the case these days.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum