» Camper Redo
Today at 5:14 pm by East

» ADOR's Hot Rods
Today at 5:09 pm by East

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm by BlindLemon77

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

» My Voodoo Omen case is now empty sitting in our basement...
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am by Rozzinator

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The boys "new" car

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The boys "new" car

Post  ADOR on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:17 pm

The oldest boy decided to get a "cooler" car before trekking off to California after he graduates this year. We looked at several cars and had it narrowed down to two. One was a 03 mach 1. Body was ok but the interior was tore up bad. Made a deal over the phone over the next few days with the deal ship after seeing it in there back lot. Next day he took off school and went with me to get it. It wasn't even there car to sell. They brought around a automatic v6 black mustang for me to test drive. I was mad as hell I had asked several times about the red 5 speed car. So after being very pissed I just jumped in the truck to leave. Then we went back to look at the other car.

Car two is 1993 red automatic z28. Lt1/4l60. The car had been purchased by a guy I know just so he could get the 2800 dollar racing trans out of it with 3500 rpm stall. So the car is trans less at the moment. It has 17" rims and new tires on it. Other mods the car has is BBK coated headers, 160 deg therostat, jet stage 2 chip, K&N cold air intake system. Not sure if it's got a different cam in it or not. It looks like 3.23 in the rear with a posi. Later on he wants to drop a 6 speed into it.

The car had originally been sitting since 09 when the fuel pump had went out. The guy had it where he would spray gas into the throttlebody to crank it every couple of months. When we pulled the gas tank it was trashed. Got a new one on order now. Dam near have to drop the rear end to get it out of the car.

Next we are working on replacing the oil pan gasket and oil pickup tube. (common problem is the tube is broken and under hard stops oil pressure drops)

Right now I have a 91 700r4 trans to drop into the car. I have ordered the correct tail housing so I can bolt the torque arm back to the trans. All I have to figure out now is proper TV cable adjustment, speedometer sensor and correct gearing internally on the tailshaft and if I can make a jumper harness for the trans plug. The 1993 camaro/firebird has a 5 prong plug, the older trans has a 4 prong plug. Been looking up diagrams to see if it's possible, it looks like it is so far.

One thing that did surprise me was when we talked to insurance it was cheaper for the z28 than his 01 v6 5speed dakota he has now.

20160118_134012 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160118_134026 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160118_134037 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The boys "new" car

Post  East on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:04 pm

Yes, Yes you do. I am glad to see its not getting the trap door hackjob er "mod". It is a bit easier if you have a buddy with a lift but then again most things are.

You can always keep an eye out for something smashed with an lsx and stick down the road. vette or an 05'ish gto would do nicely but I think you need to change the accessory drive and a few other things to get it to fit in an fbody.

It looks like a solid car. It would probably benefit from some subframe connectors. Although I think body flex is a bit better on 4th gens.
East

View user profile http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:21 am

One of the PO already did the trap door mod before we got it. We discovered it when removing the tank. Then we peeled the carpet in back out. It was a hack job. Very rough and uneven. We took a jigsaw squared the hole up and make it look a whole lot better. They have even used junk diamond plate to patch it with long screws. I am surprised it didn't punch a hole in the tank.

There is a z28 in the local junkyard that we are going to get some parts off of. One of the things I am looking at doing is cutting a oversized panel out to set over and properly fit all the little groves and bends on the back of that car. So it will still have the trap door, but will fit smooth. The T-tops and gaskets are high on the list as well as a seat cover for the driver seat. I asked about that car when he first got it in. It was in his complete car area where you can't take parts off of it. I could of got it for 800 minus the already gone engine and trans before I picked up my 52 ford. But it didn't have a title so I passed.

He isn't quite the hot rodder like me yet, but I think this car is going to bite him good once he gets in and floors it for the first time.

We have a new tank ordered though rock auto. It turns out the tank did have a few pin holes rusted though for setting for that long with that dam ethanol gas in it.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:03 am

Weird, I always thought the 4th gen tanks were plastic. Maybe that was only towards the very end of the run.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:51 am

https://www.performanceonline.com/Fuel-Tank-and-Master-Cylinder-Access-Door-Billet-Aluminum-Polished-Rectangular/

You might be able to find something like that but cheaper.

I am just going to leave this here too:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/project-cars/0606ch-2002-chevy-camaro-body-kit-install/

I kind of like the way the last yellow one looks. I don't know how one with roof structure would look though with that front clip. Might be too curvy to pull it off.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:21 pm

He may not be a hot rodder like you, but I take it that he is still a willing DIYer? Cool that you can work on stuff like that together. My dad was a builder when I was younger, and I wanted nothing to do with any of that kind of stuff, so I never learned how to do pretty much anything around the house. We still spent (and spend) plenty of time together, but on other things. But if your kid wants to roll up his sleeves alongside his old man, that is an awesome way to bond (assuming that you do not end up killing each other, of course.)
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:30 am

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/features/car-features/big-green-machine-greg-powries-twin-turbo-2000-camaro/

The inspiration has been provided, My work here is done Razz
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:28 pm

No no, if anyone is getting twin turbo first it's me. I do have enough nitrous in the shed to keep up with a lot. Got a single stage nitrous express hitman system I use to run with a MSD 7al3.

I am wanting to get one of these for the 52.

http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-GoEFIPowerAdder

It's a self learning EFI that is ready for boost or nitrous. 1200 dollars. You can let it learn on it's on and tune it with the hand held screen. If you want more you can go "advanced" and plug your laptop into it. It's rated for up to 600 hp, but you can rig up dual units for up to 1200 hp.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:52 pm

1200 horse. 'Nuff said.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:57 am

Iago