» ADOR's Hot Rods
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:14 pm by ADOR

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm by BlindLemon77

» Camper Redo
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:45 pm by ADOR

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

» My Voodoo Omen case is now empty sitting in our basement...
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am by Rozzinator

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Alenware Hanger 18

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Alenware Hanger 18

Post  ADOR on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Since the living room rearrange I haven't been using my modded hanger 18. I have decided to sell it. I have pulled the DDR 3 ram, SSD, HDD, power supply, video card and riser (original one didn't have a video card riser I used one from a x51), no dvd drive(also from x51) and the cpu cooler off of it for another project. It currently has a newer motherboard and Phenom 2 B59 cpu clocked at 3.4 ghz in it.

If interested let me know. If not I will be dropping it on ebay here next time I am home from work in three weeks.

20160113_214709 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160113_214723 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160113_214742 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160113_214729 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

I got both the X51 going back together now for a work shed desktop. It will take up a lot less space on the desk.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Alenware Hanger 18

Post  Seamaster on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:06 pm

Looks good, ADOR. I'm not looking for a desktop right now, but good luck with your sale.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Looks like it would make a nice dvr.

Reminds me of the tivo series 2 case mod / hackjob I had once contemplated.
East

View user profile http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:00 am

It was being used with a external drive for movies so I never got ar slot loader for the DVD drive, it just didn't come with one. I was surprised when I loaded windows 7 on it originally and once it was loaded it was showing it had wireless. It has built in wireless G, the card is built into some factory stuff so I never seen it. I took time to cut the back out as they don't use a normal IO shield. I had been keeping a eye out for a MSI live. They use the same basic case and that cases back fits this case and has a nomal IO shield. Ejohnson on the Alienware forums has one and did some of the same stuff to his. Even water cooled it if I remembered right.

The story on it I got from the guy I got it from was he purchased three of them from Alienware when they are closing that model out. All three show up and they won't turn on. He looks inside and they don't even have a motherboard in them. He calls up Dell and reports it. They think he is trying to scam them. After a long battle they look at the shipping weight and figure out he is telling the truth. So he finally gets a refund. The best Dell could figure was that after they set on the shelf that long some tech took the motherboards out for another alienware desktop. I asked why it looked so new when I got it.

The wife said it took up too much space so it was moved to the shop, it just hasn't really got used. Since I do have the parts and two Alienware X51 cases they will take up much less space. I was going to set a monitor directly on top, but that would block the CPU fan.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:23 pm

Leave it to dell QA not to notice a missing motherboard.

Back in the day when alienware was its own company they actually tested it before shipment and configured it to the way it was ordered. Not saying you couldn't have issues but I think they would have noticed a missing motherboard.

That is pretty funny actually. Just going to add it to my file as one of the many reasons i hate dell.

I currently have an old supermicro duel socket f sitting here with 16gb of ram and duel high efficiency hex core opterons. I am trying to decide what I should do with it. My best idea so far is to build a SAN. would be neat to dvr straight to it off a media center.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:10 pm

I have three sun fire v20z servers in the shed (all three two dual care 2.2 ghz with 8gb ram. I got them for 50 bucks each years ago and they did minecraft duty for a while, lol. Still plan on hooking them back up later on as dedicated offline servers for minecraft and maybe even a dedicated WOW server for the kids.

http://icrontic.com/discussion/95022/supermicro-4-socket-g34-folding-for-team-icrontic

I have been wanting to get a a Dual or Quad G34 socket motherboard and build something like that, even with the gaming ram.

I still have two empty rage cases and I got the water cooled i5 and motherboard into the OMEN case but that is as far as I have got. I have told myself to get the shed cleared out of stuff I wasn't using first then go from there.

Got the alienware predator that I need to work on. It was acting funny like it was the motherboard 3 years ago. So I ordered a new motherboard for the 2.3 phenom x 3 I had already. It seems to be doing the same thing now so it's either some of the original lighting stuff at the bottom of the case shorting out on some pin or the factory 900watt power supply.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:48 pm

That is the supermicro socket f prior to me pulling it. The tj07 it came with is being used for other things.

Supermicro 865w psu with a 70a 12v rail came with it too.

That is pretty much the current status of my omen if you are wondering.

Outfitted with lsi megaraid and 2x crucial m550 512gb ssds in raid 0 and it flys. No more shoddy ICH10R for me. (well the Hitachis are still connected to it and it drops them off the bus) I guess I could increase voltage to it in the bios and it might help. I think its junk though.

4k random read and write suffers a bit without fastpath but its doing its job. For the $50 I paid for this card I don't have any complaints.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:30 am

Started working on the hanger 18 replacement the two X51 cases I had. Long story short spent two days trying to get the dell internal power supply with 330watt external power brick to work right. Could get the non original M-itx motherboard to work fine on the bench, but it would never stay on even if I bypassed stuff in the case. Said screw it and put the hanger 18 back together and have decided to get rid of both of the x51 cases. So much for saving room on the desk, lol.

This time I got everything working with out the video card and it's working much better. It must of been a problem with the card or the riser card. Tried to unlock the cpu and it unlocked to a Athlon x4 3.4 ghz. But has proved unstable as the screen locked up white. I am going to see if more voltage and/or locking down to a x3 if only one core is bad. Even if I can't x3 or x4 the cpu I will see what I can get out of it in a overclock. For both the 650ti and 7770 I have will both need a bigger video card. I am thinking of just getting a 6750 ddr5 version for it and be done with it as it's just a back up rig for stuff out in the shed.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:06 pm

East

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:08 pm

I would still like to see one in person. The other alienware case I have is my Predator 2 case. I could do a lot more with it but haven't. Mainly the kids use it. It has a 2.3 x3 phenom, 4gb ram and 250gts 1gb video card on it. Overkill for minecraft, lol.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur on Sun May 01, 2016 5:27 pm

A case I would like to see in person would be their superman edition....
mrblur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Wed May 04, 2016 12:48 pm

got a ceton infinitv 4 recently. I still want to do that mpc build one of these days.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Sun May 08, 2016 12:23 pm

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2240071

The xps 720 is one of the few dell cases i like. Might mod one to hold standard boards one day should the right opertunity come along.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Sun May 08, 2016 3:47 pm

I need to take some shots of the boys new build to put up. everything is done besides recovering the power supply wires in blue and getting all of his pci raid card to work properly. He has 4 way raid with 4 16gb M2 msata drives. He did get better speeds running just two but is trying to get all 4 working together.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Mon May 09, 2016 10:43 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391449793956

Very tempting for the money he is asking, I am going to have to hold out for a complete one that is hopefully less scratched though. I also don't really need another case sitting in a pile right now. I want to see some back burner projects through to competition before I take on anything else. I still have my first computer rebuild under way, The ibm P2 300mhz and my pentium 3. (I am being lazy about starting that one, Although yesterday I did manage to locate the original extra long ide cable I had used to connect the optical drives back in 2001. Slow progress.)

I also committed to putting 2 used ibm x201 laptops into shape for a client, So I will be getting on that soon. Just waiting for him to get back from his mini-vacation to visit his family.

I may put together a list of parts pretty soon I giving away to anybody that wishes to pay the shipping. I still have a lot of pentium 2 and 3 stuff if anybody wants to do a retro pc build. Be warned I have far more processors and ram then motherboards though. Guess I will see how interested you guys are. I would like to repair that asus board though before I pass it on. Traces leading to the front panel are cut. Anybody remember what that metallic paint stuff you carefully paint on that repairs traces is called?

Nvm found it with a quick trip to google.

http://www.amazon.com/CircuitWriter-Precision-Pen-silver-based-grams/dp/B00B88B9KI

I will have to try it out and let you guys know how well it works.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum