» Camper Redo
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:38 pm by ADOR

» ADOR's Hot Rods
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:09 pm by East

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm by BlindLemon77

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

» My Voodoo Omen case is now empty sitting in our basement...
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am by Rozzinator

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

New to Iago ride

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New to Iago ride

Post  Seamaster on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:55 pm

Yes, the surgery was not for me. I haven't gotten my back looked at, although I've been doing stretches and the pain is starting to ease.

We got snow today, but we're also a fair bit further north than you. I know the Midwest gets dumped on with snow, but I believe that comes a little later in the season for you?

I'm glad you're still enjoying the car (as you should). And it sounds like things will work out fairly quickly once the house sale is closed.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:30 pm

We usually get a first sprinkling sometime in October, and we got it last week around Tuesday or so.  But it was all melted by the next morning, and the weekend was in the sixties (no Celcius down here, pal!)  It got to the mid-sixties today.  The real snow does not usually hit until mid-to-late November, barring anomalies like the infamous Halloween snowstorm in 1991 which dumped nearly three feet of snow in the area. The wild card this year is the strong El Nino, which means that we will likely be warmer and drier this winter.  (El Nino means more precipitation nearly everywhere in the U.S. except the Midwest.)

I did make an appointment at the dealer for Friday after SPECTRE (& lunch!) to get my oil changed and have one of the headlights looked at, which while they appear fine, the dash gave me a warning message.  I will ask what the cheapest that they could do for me for snow tires.  Maybe they are willing to dicker if it means keeping my repeat business.

Incidentally, I have been repeatedly running into a couple of fully loaded Golf GTIs in one of the towns on my route, and call me crazy but that is just a bland looking car, even with the options.  It may be heretical, but I think that the body on the Focus ST is much better looking, and while the interior may not be quite as good overall, the Recaros more than make up for it.  The Focus has a more attractive shape, and I really like the rear section, especially the tail lights.  Mind you, I would trade it straight up for a Golf R in a heartbeat, simply because that is more powerful and all wheel drive.  If I had to pay for it, I would unquestionably take the Focus RS over the Golf R.  So at least it helped settle any doubts there.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:58 pm

It's minus 1 Celsius here (30 Fahrenheit for those who refuse to join the rest of the world and follow the metric system) as I type, so you are definitely enjoying milder temperatures. Your infamous Halloween snowstorm of '91 sounds like every year here. We had a particularly bad Halloween about three years ago. It was -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit), we had buckets of snow on the ground and a deep frosty fog. It actually made for a very spooky atmosphere, which was nice. This year was pretty mild and there was no snow on the ground. But we've also been south of the jet stream thanks to El Nino.

Friday sounds like a good day for you!

Styling is subjective. Some people prefer a plainer, more utilitarian design, and others prefer more flare. I can attest that the interior of the VW does feel higher end, but even that is subjective. I think I mentioned this once before, but if you prefer the look of high tech and gadgets, the Ford interior might impress more. The VW is well fitted and well finished, but it is very German.

I'm not convinced the Golf R would be a good trade. Yes, it has all-wheel drive and more power, but I've read many reports that the GTI with limited slip is a more fun car to drive. More power isn't always better; it's the complete package that counts. I have no doubt that the Focus RS is a blast, however.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:20 pm

Never read a bad review of the Golf R yet. Most of the reviews that I have read which give the nod to the GTI have tended to focus on the price/performance ratio. And no, of course more power is not always better; underpowered cars like the new Miata get their raves based on the whole package, not the power. But I like me some power. I would still get that 2016 Cadillac CTS-V in a hearbeat, despite the fact that I would never take advantage of a fraction of what it offers. I would never even get close to its top speed of 200mph, even on a track. But power is addictive, man.

As far as subjectivity goes, for me those full leather Recaros trump the otherwise tighter interior of the Golf. The Volkswagen seats cannot touch them -- and on the point of subjectivity, many reviewers seem to prefer those damned plaid seats. One of the two that I see in Hudson has them, and they are not for me!

On the plain English vs. Commie metric system point, did I tell you the story about driving in Canada, and Eve's general obliviousness to standards? On the whole, it did not take me too long to adjust to watching the kilometers on the speedometer, so it was not too difficult for me. But when we went to a gas station, she marveled at how cheap the gasoline was in Canada. I said, "Are you kidding? We got gas on the drive up here for $2.50 a gallon. This is way more than that." She responded, "No it isn't. Look, it is only $1.00 a gallon."

We had to spend some time discussing the whole liter thing.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:26 am

Growing up in Scotland, I'm quite familiar with the Imperial measurement system and have no problem switching between the systems. Both make sense to me, and I actually prefer Imperial for some things, partly because it is quirky and not a linear base 10 system. Heck, I even grew up measuring weight in stone, but I digress. Today, I think mostly in pounds (the whole kg thing is fine, but I like pounds). Height I think in feet and inches, even though my driver's licence lists my height in cm. And I like miles per hour. Hit triple digits in miles per hour and you're really starting to clip along.

Yes, I'm not saying the Golf R is a bad car, just that it might not be worth the premium, particularly since you already prefer the Focus platform. Regardless, after driving the BRZ, everything feels heavy and appears to have too much body roll. I cannot get over how good the chassis is in the BRZ. The power would definitely leave you disappointed, however -- it would not feed your need (addiction) for straight-line grunt, as there is very little of that.

The plaid seats are polarizing. I much prefer leather, although after sitting in both, I'd take the plaid for comfort. That said, it's hard to beat a Recaro that fits you. If you're liking your seats, I think you'll be hard pressed to find something that equals or beats those seats.

I love visiting the States for various reasons, but one is the cost savings. Even with the Canadian dollar trading low, things are still cheaper your side of the border. There's something to said for economies of scale. A country of 300 million-plus definitely illustrates how the supply-demand curve works. Oregon is one of my favourite states to visit. Great scenery, nice people, no sales tax, and a large enough population to keep costs down. Makes me a happy chappie.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:48 am

The Northwest is on our list of places to vacation -- Oregon, or Washington State, though more likely the latter. Plenty of hiking in them thar parts! Eve actually lived in Malin, OR when she was pretty young. She has no real desire to visit based on that, but would love the mountains & oceans. Either way, the Grand Canyon is our next stop sometime early spring 2016.

The exchange rates were heavily in our favor during the trip in September; while it varied slightly from day-to-day, it was usually around 75 cents to the dollar. At least for the things that we bought, we largely came out ahead, though when I went to look for a new pair of Gel Kayanos for myself, they were $199 vs. $149 stateside, so after the higher sales tax I would have come out behind. For nearly everything else, we still came out ahead. Gas was the one thing that was unequivocally more expensive.

I like the solidity of the leather on my seats in the ST, though I have can see how many people would prefer the cushier surface of cloth. But I have Ford's eco-cloth in my work car, and to me it is no more comfortable than the Recaros. I think in some cases the fit trumps the finish.

I did get my oil changed on Friday when we saw SPECTRE, though they seemed a bit dubious about it. They were recommending waiting until 5000 miles, but that will take me at least a year, and since the car is actually a 2014, I think it was likely overdue despite the low mileage. I have driven it for three months now, and that is not a bad span of time for getting your oil changed. At the dealer, they said that they would charge around $500 for a set of Blizzaks. I have not checked Tire Plus to see how they compare, though it is likely similar. Given the issues that we just developed with closing on our rental house -- the deal is not dead, but it had a huge setback -- I will probably cheap out and just swap the tires, rather than buying rims as well.

And no, I would not spend the premium on the Golf R; at that price range, I would buy the RS in a heartbeat. I just meant that if I was offered a straight-up trade for the ST, I would take it. That was hypothetical. Real world, the extra cost would only go for an RS.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:50 am

For some reason, I tend to find that food is also cheaper in the States, even when the exchange rate isn't favourable (to me). That goes for both groceries and restaurants. High-end restaurants have stupid prices, regardless, so I tend to not give those much consideration.

I prefer leather; the exception is the cloth in the GTI.

I change my oil ahead of schedule, too, if going solely by miles driven. I'm a firm believer of changing the oil according to the calendar and regardless of total miles driven. The cost of a few extra oil changes as a preventive measure is nothing compared with the cost of a major repair or, even worse, a new engine.

Depending on how picky you are about wheels, you should be able to pick up four steel wheels for around $200. My gripe with swapping tires on one set of rims is the risk of damage to the rim. And I've had rims resurfaced because I'm picky like that. Up here, that's at least $150 per rim.

I got a deal on alloys for one of my cars and so I have my winters mounted on alloys for that car; the other rides on steel wheels in the winter. It is not the sexiest look, but I'm also not concerned about rust or damage from grit and sand.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Well, I will still probably opt for tires for now, and hopefully pull the whole rim/tire combo thing next year. Too many other expenses going on right now, including a couple of hefty ones on Eve's car -- among other things, a pothole wiped out a couple of wheel bearings. I just will not be comfortable spending the money until the house sells. In theory, we close at the end of the month, but there have been some wildly frustrating obstacles that have come up -- and ones that cost money, too. It is all the price that I pay for buying the cars before the house sold, when I should have waited until afterwards. We are hardly hurting, and can easily keep making payments until we get things resolved. It just makes me want to minimize extra expenses right now, especially car-related expenses.

As far as food goes, price is never really a consideration for me, so I honestly cannot even come up with a frame of comparison. Food in Ontario certainly did not seem any more expensive to me than it tends to be stateside, but if it was, I would probably not have noticed. That is especially true where vacations are concerned. I will eat whatever I want to eat, wherever I want to eat it. If I have to pinch pennies with food on a vacation, I would rather not go at all. Good food is half the fun.

I won a set of tickets to the Vikings/Packers football game this weekend, and I decided to treat my nephew, who is a big Vikings fan. Since the tickets are worth about $250 a piece, I let him know in no uncertain terms that he was treating me to lunch before the game, wherever I want to go!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:50 pm

You will obviously know best. I was just offering up suggestions based on my own experience. I hope things work out with the house. I know how those things go!

We dropped about $600 to eat at Ramsay's restaurant, Steak, in Vegas, so I wouldn't say I'm one to pinch pennies. The only reason I've noticed that things seem cheaper is because I budget based on what I'd expect to pay in my home city and I always end up paying less than expected. I wholeheartedly agree about vacationing: Exploring the local food scene is an important part of the vacation.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:22 am

Well, no, I do not really know best in this case, as you are absolutely correct that in the long run I am better off with a full set of wheels.  Just doing the tires for now is a compromise, and not the best choice.  But while we have finally solved the roadblock to the house sale, we do not close until December 18, and I still need to scrimp wherever possible until that deal is done.  It has cost money to make money.  Not enough time now, but I may have to tell you the whole sordid story when I have a chance.  We have had to cut into our profits before we have even earned the profits.

We were at my parent's house yesterday for Thanksgiving and my nephew the car junkie just about talked Eve into waiting for the Tesla Model 3.  The starting price is $35,000, and assuming that you do not have to go too much over that for respectable trim level, once you subtract the tax credits that are still available in the U.S. it would end up under $30,000.  We shall see how that one shakes out.  The plan is to hold onto the Caddy that we just bought for her for about a year, and then trade it in for something else.  And, she still keeps asking me about the Focus RS, so she seems to be on board with me trading in the ST, even if I am not.

Exploring the local food scene is probably the single biggest part of a vacation for me.  I am really not into travelling like Eve is; I am just along for the ride.  I do like hiking, but I am content doing it around home.  But she loves travelling, and I love food, so it all works out.  

My nephew & I ended up going to a place called Black Sheep Pizza before the Vikings game, which has the only coal-fired pizza ovens in the Twin Cities. Definitely gives a different char and taste than the usual wood ovens.  They had plenty of "ordinary" options to keep my nephew happy, and they also had the upscale, creative options that I like.  I ended up with Persian beef, cherry tomatoes, feta & harissa.  It was delicious:

Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Well, if you're seriously considering the RS, that is one good reason not to bother with a set of wheels for the ST.

The Tesla is interesting. I'll be curious to see if it actually launches on time. Tesla now has an Aston designer as part of their team, so I have high hopes for how future Teslas look.

Playing around, I've priced out a Tesla. There are no credits in my neck of the woods and I quickly went from the roughly $80,000 asking price for a Model S to over $160,000. I guess I like the finer things. But how can one say no to options like the Ludicrous Speed Upgrade?

Incidentally, since you like Tesla, I'm sure you've seen this video:

I'm not sure we have a coal-fired pizza place near me. But I haven't really looked. For whatever reason, pizza leaves me with a bit of a cramped stomach, so I only eat it occasionally. Which is strange, because I'm fine with other dough and breads, and cheeses.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:37 pm

The only issue that I have with pizza is tomatoes. I still have ulcers, and the acid in tomatoes will set them ablaze if I am not careful. But that is true of anything with tomatoes or tomato sauces, not just pizza. One Zantec usually does the trick.

Yes, I still cannot let the RS go. Our rental house is finally supposed to close on the 23rd of this month, and once we have that money and pay off both of the current cars, and also get through tax season (still not sure how that one is going to shake out with the sale) -- well, we shall see what the future holds at that point. Love my ST, but the grass is always greener elsewhere.

Yes, down here to get either a P85D or P90D with the Ludicrous Mode upgrade will still top out around $130,000 USD. If was willing to spend that kind of money on a car, I would go whole hog as well. That is why I am trying to stay down on the farm with the ST -- heading to Paris, metaphorically speaking, with the RS is about as far off the farm as I can justifiably go.

My nephew plans to place his order for the Tesla Model 3 when pre-sales go live next March -- provided that it does not look like a complete dog, or that the base car is too basic and the options drive it up to more than he is willing to spend. I doubt that I would buy one for Eve, but I will still be keeping an eye on the thing to see what happens.

Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Ah, the joy of capital gains!

Is this the nephew that negotiates like a fiend? I'm curious to see how that approach plays out with Tesla. My understanding is that negotiate isn't in Tesla's vocabulary.

From what I understand, the RS is available next year, but I was told that they're all spoken for. All the bastard dealers bought them up, meaning the public didn't even get a shot. I say again: bastard dealers.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:44 am

I have not talked to the dealer that we use about the RS since I bought the ST. I should call the rep that we used and see what their status is regarding the car. If it is not even available, that would certainly solve my dilemma.

Speaking of dilemmas, the saga of that rental house continues. The last delay was actually due to us. The closing kept getting pushed back and finally settled on December 28, but since that was so close to the end of the year, we asked our accountant and he strongly suggested that we put it off until 2016. Since the house has been unoccupied from August through December, we can write it off as a loss on our 2015 taxes. Hopefully we will make up enough on taxes for this year to offset all of the extra money that we have put into it to sell it, and then next year we would just get stuck with the 15% capital gains tax on the profits. Which would still leave us with plenty to pay off both cars, and then some. Now we have a closing date of December 15.

But there is still this:

http://buyersguide.jalopnik.com/cadillac-cts-and-cts-v-the-ultimate-buyers-guide-1738521174
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:45 pm

You're probably fine State-side. The situation I described is on my side of the border.

Did you mean a closing date of January 15?

Are you considering getting a Caddy for yourself? How is Eve's holding up?
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:14 pm

I pretty much completely fumbled that post. I meant to say that the closing date was January 5, not December 15. I have no idea how it could have come out that way. But that was indeed yesterday, and the sale indeed closed, and we indeed deposited a very nice check today. So that was excellent news. The less-than-excellent news, however, is that the day prior to yesterday, Eve lost her job. That put a bit of a damper on the closing. Pretty rotten deal, too. As with much of that kind of thing, it was definitely wrongful termination, but you would never be able to prove it. We know why it happened, but they came up with a different (bogus) reason, because the real reason would definitely get her employer into hot water.

Needless to say, things have been a bit dark around here. The good news is that with the money from the closing, a few bonuses that we both received in the last few weeks, and the fact that she will qualify for unemployment, we are hardly hurting while she searches for a new job. I can probably still pay off both cars anyway, though I may just pay off mine and leave hers on the 0% until she gets a new job and gets settled. By then we will probably have our tax refund back, and due to the losses from the rental house for the last five months of the year, it will probably be hefty. Conceivably, hefty enough to cover the capital gains taxes on the sale. So we will be fine. It does, however, put a damper on any thoughts of upgrading the cars. Unless some killer job magically lands in her lap pretty quickly, that effectively ends my wishes to trade in for an RS. And yes, I would certainly love a Caddy of my own, but I would settle for no less than a CTS-V or an ATS-V, 2015 or newer. But I definitely would not be spending that kind of money right now.

Eve's Caddy is holding up fine. Our original plan was to have her drive it for a year and then trade it in for a pretty significant upgrade. Not sure what is going to happen now, but we definitely never planned for her to be in the car for too long.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Eve's job. Even if you're both fine financially, that doesn't dismiss the fact that she was treated unfairly. She got the short end of the stick, period, and that sucks. How is the job market in your area? Up here, it's not good. I know the financial markets are down all over, but the United States is doing okay and you may be in a little pocket that is fairing better than others.

If it were me, I think I'd sit on that 0% loan, as that's essentially free money. You really have nothing to gain by paying it off. You'd be better off investing the money and getting a return, albeit a low return in this market!
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:14 pm

Well, Eve got shafted, pure and simple, but it is not like she had a contract. Down here, short of a contract, employment is considered at-will, with not a lot of recourse unless you can prove discrimination. Mind you, if she had recorded a couple of conversations, I think that her old employers could be in some pretty big hot water. But that is he said/she said stuff now.

The market down here is not the greatest, but Eve does work in a fairly specialized field (property management) and definitely has skills and a lot of experience. She just accepted a job with a different company last Friday. The commute will be a little bit farther, and the pay is actually significantly less than she was making, but it seems like a good company, her new boss sounds good, and they seem to have a lot of opportunity, not just with other properties potentially opening, but with other tasks like lease ups on new properties. They are going to let her do a four-day work week, which is great, and that extra day could be spent heading out to other properties and helping out with things like lease ups. So we shall see.

I did pay off both cars. We have plenty of money left over from the sale to handle anything. Taxes on the sale will not be due until next year, and in the meantime, once we finish the taxes for last year we are going to be able to write off a lot of losses and come out with a pretty significant refund.

Now we do really need to look at Eve's car. Gas is cheap right now, but she does ultimately need something newer that gets better gas mileage. So she moved back to the head of the line. Though, the first reviews are out for the RS:

http://jalopnik.com/the-2016-ford-focus-rs-is-god-in-hatchback-form-1754930368

The other big auto journals are pretty much raving about it as well. But only Jalopnik would be willing to go with that headline.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:32 pm

Things turned around quickly! That's impressive. And happiness isn't all down to pay. Sounds like Eve has a decent opportunity, and that can make a world of difference.

The RS has quite the write up. Sadly, even if I could find stock, which I can't, the price rings in at $51,103 in Alberta, assuming no dealer markup, but you can be sure there will be a mark up. Chalk that up to a poorly performing dollar and a small market, but ouch. That said, I have read reports of worse in other provinces. While it'd be tough to find another car that performs as well, I'd be tempted to look at other cars for that kind of money. Another badass Ford with rave reviews is the Shelby GT350R. I dig that it's sans supercharger or turbocharger.

Car and Driver likes it: http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang-shelby-gt350-gt350r

When spec'd out as I'd have it, that one came in at $91,000.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:03 pm

Well, at the $91,000 price range, I could end up with a well-speced 2016 CTS-V. That actually posts a slightly quicker 0-60 time, and also can hit 200mph. Plus, it would make a far nicer daily driver. No stick, though. I know that it actually tops out at $102,000 when fully loaded, but I have not really played around with the options to see what I would want. Base price is $82,000, so for an extra $10,000 I would probably find what I want.

The only other car at the $40,000 range that I would particularly want would be the Chevy SS, but the Focus RS is just plain going to be much more fun to drive, even if the SS would be more comfortable in the long run. And frankly, the ST is a blast, too. With Eve starting a new job, the RS is likely out of contention for good. Now I would be tempted to drop the roughly $5000 on some Mountune upgrades and just keep the car for life. I would do the engine mod, the Quaife differential, and the exhaust upgrade, just as MT recommends. I am perfectly happy with the shifter and would not want the short-throw version, and I would not have any need for lowering the springs.

http://www.motortrend.ca/en/car-reviews/ford/focus/2015/1601-2015-ford-focus-st-with-ford-performance-upgrades-first-test-review/

But first, we need to upgrade Eve's car. Gas is cheap right now, but she needs something with better mileage, and the Caddy was always a short-term solution for her anyway.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:06 am

This forum is starting to eat my posts. I successfully posted yesterday in this thread, but it's now gone. Not cool.

I won't retype everything, but had mentioned that I'm one of the few who will sacrifice straight-line speed for handling. That is just a general comment. I'm not at all implying that the CTS-V is a slouch when it comes to handling. But I'm not entirely bothered by a few tenths of seconds here or there with 0-60 times or few extra miles with top speed. I like twisty roads and handling rules in that environment. I am also stuck in my ways and love a true stick shift and manual clutch pedal. Call me fickle, but that adds so much enjoyment for me. Alas, I'd likely stick to the ATS-V if going with a Caddy or something else entirely. I know. WTF, right?

I had also mentioned that I love your zeal for overdoing it with the ST. And then asked if the ST forums agreed with Motortrend, or if some of the petrol heads had different suggestions? With the lowering springs, sometimes that's more than just cosmetics. A lowered car can stay flatter and handle better. If it's just for cosmetics, I wouldn't bother either. I'd prefer to put the money toward stickier rubber and actually get a performance gain. I think I mentioned it before, but upgraded tires and driving lessons are the two upgrades that result in the biggest gain in performance. Lastly, what about brakes? More power and more speed needs better stopping ability.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:34 am

Always copy your entire post before you hit the send button.  That has saved me a lot of lost work whenever the forum glitches and loses the post, which does happen all too frequently.

I agree about handling vs. straight-line speed.  I drive an ST, after all.  But the SS actually handles extremely well, and is rear-wheel drive to boot.  So not just handling, but very tossably fun handling.  And in the case of the CTS-V vs. the ATS-V, I think that you would be surprised.  The CTS-V was specifically designed to be a car that you can drive around town, then drive to the track and drive ON the track, all seamlessly.  And not a drag strip either, but a full track.  The thing was not just built for speed, it was built for handling, and will put plenty of smaller cars with a stick shift in their places.  I love a stick as well, but cars like the CTS-V are in a different category.  The pluses outweigh that minus.  Out of my budget either way, so if I ended up with something like the SS, I would certainly hold out for a manual version.  But those are nearly impossible to find unless you order a brand-new one from the factory.  

Those Mountune springs seem to divide people.  I read reviews that said that they made a huge difference in the handling, and then ones like that Motor Trend review where they said that they really made no difference other than cosmetic.  Unless there was a more definitive way to know, I would probably skip them in favor of the other upgrades, especially since we have a pretty steep angle at the bottom of our driveway.  I already have to enter it slowly, and at an angle, to avoid bottoming out.

In the meantime, we went out and got a new car for my wife.  And we both love it, surprisingly enough.  Never thought I would have bought one of these, but they are actually great cars, and the since they depreciate like rocks you can pick up a used one at a great price -- provided that you can actually find a used one, because they disappear off of lots as soon as they appear.  (We had to have a dealer look for one for us and call us the moment that it came in.)

Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:20 pm

That Volt looks like it has a cockpit modelled after a spaceship's! I'm sensing an upgrade to a Tesla in a few year's time . . .

If you're already bottoming out, I wouldn't think about springs, unless they are user adjustable. Even then, I don't think I could be bothered. Tires on the other hand need to be replaced anyway. When the time comes, I'd spring for something sticky.

I have no doubt that the CTS-V handles well. It did, after all, produce the fastest time around the Nuremburg Ring for a four-door sedan when it was released. I'm not sure it would outdo the Shelby GT350R on a track, seeing as that car was built to be a track destroyer and, from what I've read, it does very well in that regard. However, I'm not realistically going to buy either, so this is all merely paper speculation.

As I said, I'm fickle. No amount of logic or pros will make me prefer anything over a traditional stick shift. I've tried the dual-clutch setups (I even own one) and they just don't do it for me, regardless of how good they are. Note that I'm not debating their effectiveness or performance. I simply prefer old school, the same way I prefer traditional wet shaving, fountain pens and mechanical watches. At the same time, I would never criticize someone for preferring the higher-performing option, and I can certainly see why manufacturers would put dual-clutch setups in these high-output cars. Not only is there a performance gain, but it's safer for the car's mechanics and safer for most drivers who wouldn't be able to handle all that power with a traditional set up.

I'm still smitten with the underpowered BRZ, so that is an indicator of how my preferences sway. The balance and feel in that car is fantastic, and I really didn't mind that it's slow. Mostly because it's not that slow. It's not fast, but it can be made to go fast, so long as the driver is willing to put in the effort. However, it will disappoint those who like the ability to simple mash the gas pedal and feel the power of the car as it pushes you back in the seat. I like all kinds of cars, but if I was forced to choose between a finely balanced handling car or a muscle car, I'd opt for the car that handles every time, unless I was being forced to drag race. But I don't do that.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Yes, that interior could easily be considered rather tacky, but I think think that it actually works pretty well, especially in the colour combination that we got. The white exterior has large black accents, so the black interior with large white accents makes sense. And that is one big honking chunk of hard white plastic in the middle. Maybe it only seems acceptable considering that it is a somewhat futuristic electric vehicle, and on another car it would be tacky. But it works for me.

No, the CTS-V is not going to knock out a Shelby GT350R on track day, though it may have the Shelby owner getting frustrated at how close the other driver is in his rear view mirror. But that Shelby is really not a car that I would want to take on the roads around my house. The CTS-V is probably as good on average for both track and every day driving as any car out there. It has the lovely lovely adjustable magnetic suspension to make it much more multi-purpose. Which, by the way, is something that GM added to the Chevy SS in 2015. So as of that year, you could get the car with a manual transmission and magnetic suspension. Because of that, I would never even consider a 2014.

I certainly love me a good stick shift as well; after all, I bought a car with one. And I am considering two cars that have them as well -- the SS and the RS. But if price was no object, I would not let my love of a manual transmission get between me and a 2016 CTS-V, or a Tesla Model S P90D, or a DB pretty much anything. But if sticks are first and foremost, have you had a chance to try a 2016 Miata yet? They are also quite underpowered by the standards of most performance vehicles, but they are getting absolute raves about their handling and balance. They are supposedly just plain fun to drive. Plus, they are relatively inexpensive, too. Pretty much the same price range as a BRZ/FRS. (Or, going forward, BRZ only, since Toyota is killing the Scion brand.)
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:51 pm

I re-read my post and I see how it could have came off smarmy. I did not mean to imply that the interior looked cheap. I agree with you that it seems to work in that setting. Maybe it's just that expectations change with an electric car, but the futuristic look is quite appropriate. My comment about a Tesla was more about you sticking on the electric path, not that you needed a nicer interior. Sorry if it came off another way.

The CTS-V would indeed frustrate drivers. Heck, check out how well it's little brother, the ATS-V performs (the numbers it puts out are mighty impressive):

And from the same channel, a comparison between the MX-5 and BRZ.

Toyota may be killing Scion, but they are rebranding the cars as Toyota's. The FRS will live on as a Toyota. I'm not sure if it will pick up the GT86 badge that's used by the rest of the world, however.

I think a MX-5 (or Miata) would be a blast. I only have two concerns: the body roll and the pricing. In Canada, the MX-5 is not priced nearly as well. A loaded BRZ would cost me about $33,000 to $34,000. To get equivalent specs in the MX-5, I'd need to step up to the GS (Canada's version of the Club -- why can't we all use the same names?), which starts at $37,000. But then I might be tempted by the sport package, which is another $4,500; so a $41,500 car. That is, of course, Canadian dollars. Incidentally, the second video I posted does include the MX-5 in Club trim with the sport package added (add BBS wheels, Brembo brakes and stiffer sway bar and some other stuff).

From pictures, the Mazda looks like it has the nicer interior, and I think I might even prefer its exterior styling.

I can't remember if I told you, but the Focus RS is a $52,000 car in my neck of the woods, assuming you can find one and the dealer hasn't marked it up exorbitantly.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum