» Camper Redo
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:38 pm by ADOR

» ADOR's Hot Rods
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:09 pm by East

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm by BlindLemon77

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

» My Voodoo Omen case is now empty sitting in our basement...
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am by Rozzinator

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Iago's trigger has been triggered

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Iago's trigger has been triggered

Post  Iago on Sat May 02, 2015 6:20 am

I would argue that if you are as sore as you are describing, then you definitely crossed the line from discomfort into real pain. The micro tears turned into macro tears! I think about the only area where I accept a bit more is after leg days, but that is not really so much that I am pushing myself any harder than other days, but rather that I have to use the muscles constantly for walking, so I feel it more. So it is not necessarily that the muscles are any more sore, all things being equal, but rather that since you are forced to use them nonstop throughout the day (unlike, say, pectorals) you "feel the pain" more often.

That said, while I was doing leg day yesterday, I was fine for the squats, but as I was going into the third minute for leg presses, I started to feel a sharper level of discomfort on one quad. I stopped that set, rested a few seconds, tried one more rep to make sure that I was not imagining things, then just stopped completely. That was the kind of pain that does NOT mean gain. And it feels O.K. today, so I stopped just in time. The rest of the workout was Romanian Deadlifts, Leg Curls, Calf Raises and Toe Presses, so I was able to finish things out just fine, and I am sure that I will be fine next week. The four minute sets "hurt" for most of the entire four minutes, but that was the key difference between discomfort and real pain.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Wed May 20, 2015 11:45 am

What are you onto now? I didn't do anything for the past two weeks. I got back at it this week, but I'm taking it easy. It's hard to plan something dedicated for the next while, as my schedule is busy with other stuff. I need to do some work to figure that out.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sat May 23, 2015 6:10 pm

I just finished my final week of the four minute sets. Got to 60 reps on all but a couple of the exercises. I still have not settled what I am going to do next week; it will probably be heavy, and probably something along the lines of what we talked about before. But Monday is rapidly approaching, so I suppose that I better sit down and get it planned out before then!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:37 am

Curious to know what you landed on and if it's working for you?

I'm plodding along mostly with what I can. Rather than pick one path, I'm just mixing up the exercises in an otherwise balanced routine: Heavy, lower-rep sets for compound exercises and higher reps and supersets for accessory exercises. Still, I've dropped about five pounds (sadly muscle) and my midsection feels flabbier. I'm eating right, but not sleeping as well. I'm blaming stress.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:00 pm

Uh, yes, you have some stress in your life right now! Do not let it get you down about your conditioning. That said, do get done whatever you have the time and energy to do; I always feel better, physically and mentally, after a workout -- even the disappointing ones.

I decided to go for the Boring But Big and focus on strength for a while. More to say about what I am doing specifically, but I am running out of time right now so I will give more details later.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:54 pm

I'm interested to hear, when you have time.

Here's something similar to what I'm doing: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

The biggest drawback in the workout as it's written is a lack of direct work for traps and rear delts. I'd incorporate some shrugs, bent-over rear delt raises, reverse flyes or something like that. I also have a hell of a time doing front squats because of my shoulders, but that is an issue with me, not the workout.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:22 pm

I opted for the first version of BBB, but with substituting variants for the 5X10 assistance work.  Not wanting to completely neglect the biceps, triceps & calves, I borrowed something from another version of the 5-3-1 that he had on a different page and added one set of 3X10 of supplemental work to each day.  So on shoulder day, I went with seated dumbbell raises for the 5-3-1 (skipping the military presses due to how they can aggravate my pinched nerve); standing dumbell raises for the 5x10s supersetted with lat pulldowns; and finally standing dumbbell curls.  Deadlift day is deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts/reverse curls, and toe curls.  Chest day is bench presses, incline dumbbell bench presses/dumbbell rows, and triceps pressdowns.  Squat day is squats, leg presses/crunches, and toe presses.  

Since that takes less than a half hour, even with 2 minute rests, and since I am not cardioaccelerating to keep the lifting anaerobic, I decided to add more cardio at the end.  So I spend 12 minutes on the treadmill at the beginning (like I normally do,) with half walking and then half running at a fairly slow pace, then do the workout, then go back to the treadmill for 12 minutes, this time doing one minute intervals ramping up to 9mph.  Still takes less than an hour overall, including all warmup time and cardio at the end.  I thought that the leg days might be too tough to end with the intervals, but they really have not, as the movement seems to help work the potential stiffness out.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:31 pm

How many weeks in, and have you noticed much progress (size or strength)? I know you prefer high-volume training, so I'm curious if this type of workout is working for you.

It looks like you're doing something closer to his three-month challenge, which incorporates additional assistance work for arms and rear delts. On Day 1, did you mean dumbbell presses (rather than raises)? If your pinched nerve eliminates any kind of overhead pressing, fair one, but you might find presses give better results. Upright rows are also decent.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do next. For now, I'm just sticking to what I've been doing and going in when I can. There are a number of interesting workouts in the latest issue of Muscle and Fitness, and I might give one of those a go, or just do a BBB routine, once I can comfortably commit to a regular schedule. Ironically, and as you've noted, the BBB routines don't take much time, but I do need to commit to four days a week. Right now, every third week (treatment week) makes that impossible, so I figured I could maintain by just doing what I can when I can.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:01 pm

Well, I think that I may have started the weights a bit light. He suggests doing 90% of your 1RM, or your 3RM. But part of that is do to the fact that he thinks that people routinely over-estimate their 1RMs, and it would appear that I was pretty honest about my weight choices. I pushed the last set of the main lifts to failure, as he suggests, but I think that I was able to do too many reps. It ended up being four or five for most exercises on the last set of the third cycle (the "1+" set,) so I may have been a bit light. I just deloaded last week, and am doing another three week cycle starting this week, with all of the weights bumped up. But for a first try, it was probably better to understimate than overestimate, which was his intent.

And yes, I meant seated dumbbell presses, not raises. Not sure why I typed "raises." It is really only standing barbell overhead presses that potentially set off my pinched nerve, and ironically enough, the more accurate my form, the better the chance of having problems. Seated dumbbell presses are the most logical substitution.

Hard to judge how well it is working after just the first three week (four counting deload) cycle. I will do at least one more. The upside is that even with adding the extra cardio, it still does not take too long, and it is a very different rhythm/pattern than what I have done recently, so it definitely has avoided any boredom so far.

Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:35 pm

The BBB routine is designed for slow progression. If you can, stick with it for three cycles.

If you're finding the workout too easy, maybe take a week to figure out your one-rep max's. I decided to jump on the BBB three-month challenge (going in at odd hours when needed to make it happen), and while I've only completed one week, I can feel the effects the day after. But I know my maxes. For this month (where the 5 x 10s are at 50% of my max), I found it just fine. I know the 5 x 10s at 70% (Month 3) are going to suck, particularly with an exercise like deadlifts.

I didn't stray too far from the template. My workout looks like this:

Day 1

Dumbbell overhead press: 5-3-1

Incline dumbbell press
superset with Pull-ups: 5 x 10

Giant set:
Rope curl
Face pull
Triceps pressdown: 3 x 10

Day 2

Deadlift: 5-3-1

Squats
superset with rope crunches: 5 x 10

Seated calf raises
superset with toe raises: 4 x 10

Day 3

Bench press: 5-3-1

Dumbbell overhead press
superset with dumbbell rows: 5 x 10

Giant set:
Hammer curl
French press
Bent-over rear delt raises: 3 x 10

Day 4

Squat: 5-3-1

Deadlift
superset with hanging leg raise: 5 x 10

Standing calf raises
superset with toe raises: 4 x 10

I will play around with substitute exercises for arms.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:07 am

I used alternative exercises for the 5x10s precisely to help avoid the suckage part.  Mind you, heavy 5x10s of Romanian Deadlifts are a bit of a drag as well!  But since the exercises are limited, I also wanted to have at least one shot at hitting the same muscles as the main lifts, but at a different angle.  

Like I said, I think that my 1RM estimates were relatively accurate, but I used his suggestion to use 90% of your 1RM, especially on your first try of doing 5-3-1s.  And even if it ended up a bit light, that was probably a very good suggestion for people who have never done them before.  I concentrated on control and on form, and still worked to failure on the last sets; it just ended up as more repetitions than it would have otherwise.  I increased the weights by a bit more than his suggested amounts for the second cycle, and yes, I am feeling it more.  Just finished the second week of the second cycle.  I will probably go on to a third.  Strangely enough, I have lost a couple of pounds doing this, but I am not sure if that is thanks to the extra cadio at the end, or if I am just eating a bit better right now.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:37 pm

I might be mistaken, but I believe Wendler promotes working all out on the last set, but not to failure (that means do as many reps as possible, but don't keep going to complete failure; this generally means leaving one rep in the tank). The BBB three-month challenge actually doesn't ask that of the 5-3-1 sets; the idea is to only do the prescribed reps, then work through the accessory exercises. However, those accessory exercises are done at 50%, 60% and 70% of max, depending on the month. I believe the standard BBB has those accessory exercises done at 30% to 50%. Do you have any of Wendler's books?

Weight loss typically means running a caloric deficit. You're probably burning more calories than you're consuming if you've lost weight.

I knackered my back big time doing deadlifts. I was on my last set of 3-3-3. I got the weight off the ground just fine, lowered it and got it up for my second rep. That's where I made a mistake. I remember thinking only one more rep (but before I had lowered the weight). That was all it took. My concentration waned and my form must have broken down so that my back was no longer flat. I felt a horrible pain in my erectors and I lowered the weight slowly. I tried to walk it off, but each step sent a spasm into my back. Later that night, I noticed I had developed a list (my body made a crazy S shape), and there was nothing I could do to straighten myself. I also felt a horrible pain in my left lat (I sprained there too). That night and the night following were brutal in bed, as I kept waking myself up. And trying to get out of bed was an adventure. I iced, applied heat, stretched and popped ibuprofen and muscle relaxants. I'm much better now (mobility has improved and the list is more subtle), but the muscles still feel weak. I'm going to give it until next week, then start back with a joint-friendly workout that won't do much for growth but will hopefully help with rehab. There is no heavy barbell work. Leg day, for example, is goblet squats, single-leg dumbbell deadlifts (I will be going cissy weight here and will basically just be going for a gentle stretch), leg extensions and leg curls, then calf work. My back will thank me, and it will at least keep me moving. Even cardio has been tough -- I've stuck to walking only.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:11 am

I do not have Wendler's book, but I am just following the links that you provided. And while he says not to change or vary things, he seems to have quite a bit of variation in his own various versions. In some of them, he does refer to the final set as a "1+" set, and that is how I am doing it. Not really leaving one in the tank, but still doing the final set to completion and quitting when I know that I cannot do one more fully, rather than attempting that last set. He also varies what he says about the 5x10s as well. One does indeed say 50%, 60%, and 70% (complicated by it being based on the training max for that day, rather than on the 1RM) but in another one he says for beginners to start out at 30%, 45%, and 60%, but then to stay at 60% for all cycles after that. I did that for the first cycle, and have kept it at 60% after, but increasing it slightly as I can. Not working the 5x10s to failure, but if I can complete the last set of 10 with too many left in the tank, I add 5-10lbs for the next cycle. If that 10th rep is a challenge, then I leave it at that same weight for the next cycle.

As far as weight goes, it was just an interesting note. 2lbs is not enough to mean anything. My weight is never consistent within a 2lb range anyway, and varies more than that, which is a big reason why I do not put much stock in weight as a measurement.

Weight lifting in general carries a fair amount of risk, and deadlifting in particular, of course. I try to concentrate on form, but you are always a split second from making a mistake and hurting yourself. Sorry to hear about your injury -- sounds nasty. Stick with the the slow recovery.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:46 am

By training max, I believe Wendler means 90% of your 1RM. So, that number shouldn't change with each workout, but should change with each cycle, as you add 5 or 10 pounds to your 1RM. It's pretty easy to run the calculations or set up a spreadsheet to monitor your numbers for the cycle. And, of course, you'll need to round, unless your gym supplies small plates (mine only goes down to 2.5-pound plates). At any rate, I sent you a PDF to read. Maybe it will help a little.

My weight fluctuates too, and I wouldn't rely on it as a sign of success or failure. How you feel and look, how your clothes fit, how much stronger you are: those are things that matter. I was only commenting if you were seeing a consistent trend in weight loss.

I was able to work out yesterday. Was definitely a lighter workout than I would have liked, but it felt good to be back in the gym. I did straight-legged deadlifts with really light dumbbells (15 pounds), which was a good weight for my back. My muscles still felt sore, and that weight allowed me to do nice slow reps, get a good blood flow going, and left the muscles feeling slightly fatigued, but not an injured sore. I'm not going to attempt heavy squats or deads until my back is fully healed. The injury happened two weeks ago tomorrow, so I think I'm making good progress. I'm hoping that I'll be good to go in a month. Otherwise, I did other joint-friendly exercises like goblet squats, leg curls, some core and calf work. To make up for the lack of weight and compound movements, I worked in drop sets and supersets. Not a perfect substitute by any means, but a safe way for me to up the intensity for now.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks for sending the the material.  Glad to read that you are working your way back up again.  I have had my own snag this week: I had a major chest pain on Sunday morning.  One single short, sharp shock lasting no more than a second, accompanied by a near-blackout.  (Sort of a Loony Tunes-style iris out, which stopped just before it went completely black.)  I had a really strong bike ride Sunday morning, and this happened hours later while sitting and not moving.  It just came out of the blue.  Since my mother had a major heart attack last year that required multiple stents and a triple bypass, I figured that I better have it checked out.  I drove over to the urgent care at the local hospital and they did and EKG as well as hook me up to multiple monitors, but they could not find anything.  Their only concern was how low my heart rate is, but my resting heart rate is always 50-55, so that was normal.  They had to shut off the alarm on the monitor because I kept setting it off.  (Hey, I may be overweight, but I do have some pretty good conditioning going on!)  No clue.  I have been trying to keep track of how I feel, but that gets weird because psychology takes over and while I have not necessarily felt 100% since then, I just cannot tell if I am imagining it.  It was a deload week this week anyway, so I have worked out normally, and even did the heavy interval running at the end of the workouts.  Had another pretty strong bike ride on Wednesday, too.  Time will tell.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:08 pm

That sounds scary. Any chance it could have been a sudden blood pressure change? It sounds like you're doing okay, but keep an eye on yourself.

Overweight? You have never looked overweight in any of the photographs I've seen you in. We are generally our own worse critics.

I was able to do proper deads on Sunday following a thorough warmup and time on a foam roller. I didn't do anything crazy, but got up to 245 pounds for reps. I started off using just the bar and things felt okay, so I added weight a little at a time. Kept my core tight, the movement slow and focussed hard on form. It felt good and got me over my apprehension of doing that exercise again. I only did bodyweight exercises following (mostly glute-ham raises and ab work) to help streghthen my back and core, and to make sure I didn't strain my back with too much weighted resistance.

To mix things up further, here's Wendler's 5/3/1 bodybuilding template. Much of the same principles as before, but with added assistance exercises:

http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/09/531-and-bodybuilding/

This does appear to contradict some of his other programs, but I think the idea is that strength gains are sacrificed for aesthetic gains. I have heard others who have had more success with the more basic program. At it's core, getting shredded isn't so much about the workout anyway; it's pretty much diet.

Another interesting program that you might like is Layne Norton's PHAT program:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

There are claims that Norton is natural, but I say bullshit. Nevertheless, assisted or not, there is no denying that he has an enviable physique.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:37 am

No, my blood pressure was normal. (I tend toward the high side of the acceptable range, and that is just where I was at.) I did go back in to the urgent care, as my clinic is swamped right now and I cannot get an appointment with my GP until September. They checked me out again and did not find anything. Interestingly, my resting heart rate was down to 46, which is a bit low, though that is likely where it sits at night when I am sleeping. Last week, I started my first week of the last cycle and did O.K. for most of it, though I struggled a bit on Thursday (chest), especially with the cardio at the end. I thought that I was going to be in trouble for squat day on Friday, but I ended up getting through that just fine. I have felt a bit better for the last two days, though my energy level is below where it should be. Mind you, on a day like Friday, I got up at 3:00, hit the gym at 5:00, worked during the day, came home in the afternoon and mowed the whole lawn, then took the dogs for a mile walk. So when I say that my energy level is down, I can still push myself to get things done that many people could not. But that does not change the fact that something is wrong with me. If I keep feeling a bit better this upcoming week, then I will assume that the whole thing is going away. Time will tell.

I am 5'10" tall and 225 pounds, and no that is definitely not all muscle! Fortunately, I have little to any facial fat, and most of it is torso fat for me (around the waist and butt.) So depending on the picture, I do not look particularly overweight. But more of it definitely needs to go.

I like the look of that Norton routine. I do not care if he juices or not, as long as he designs a good workout. Since it is five days, that may be a good one to consider once the weather turns and I have to stay indoors. For now, while the biking weather is good, I want to keep at least three full cardio days a week. Once the bad weather hits, cardio days indoor become a drudgery, so less full cardio days and more lifting days is a good thing. I would still do my 10-12 minutes of cardio for a warmup regardless.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:37 pm

I remember you saying your blood pressure was normal when tested. What I was wondering was if the doctors had any thoughts that your blood pressure had dipped just before you got the Looney Tunes closing screen. Regardless, you appear to be doing well and your heart rate is amazing. Mine is about 60 at rest. I guess all that road cycling is doing you some good!

I also couldn't care less if someone juices. What does bother me is when people use, but pass off their gains as having been obtained naturally. I accept that the fitness and Hollywood industries are rampant with users, and it's part of the game to keep it hushed, but I think it's a disservice to the rest of us who are going at it naturally. In short, it creates false expectations, and the general public aren't informed well enough to know any better. I actually respect people like Yates and Stallone who are at least open about how they got their results. Each to their own, but I think it's healthy to have a realistic expectation of what's possible.

I hate indoor cardio. I can handle HIIT stuff and some track running, but I cannot stand machines. The only exception is that I discovered spin bikes this year. I had always dismissed them. I hopped on one and I actually quite like them. The simplicity is awesome; just adjust the handlebars and seat, then the tension and go. No programs and other gadgetry to fuss with, and the resistance is far more fluid and consistent.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Indoor cardio is always a bitch. Strangely enough, despite the fact that I am a long-term bicyclist, I find any stationary bike to be deadly dull, with little way to get variety into it. I have tried doing intervals on a bike, but it does not seem to work as well for me as it does on a treadmill. Nevertheless, I did decide to break things up a bit last winter and ran intervals two days a week, and rode a stationary bike steady-state the other day. One day a week was tolerable, especially if no one else was in the gym and I could crank one of the TVs. But the intervals on a treadmill make the time go by faster than any other indoor cardio. You just have to make a conscious effort not to count the intervals!

But yes, I am sure that years of cycling has contributed to my resting heart rate. When I was much younger, I went as much as 20-30 miles a day in the summer. I switched that as I got older and did not have the time, but I still rode seven days a week, and traded in distance for speed, only going 12-16 miles, but pushing as hard as I could the whole time. I have only been lifting for a few years now.

My blood pressure is normal, but normal has a range of acceptable values, and I have generally been on the high side of that. And that is just where I was at both time that I went in for the heart thing. A blood pressure dip would not have explained the chest pain, though if the pain came from a misfiring ventricle, there would have been a moment where my system had to catch up and that could have made me lightheaded. I have certainly felt times in the past when it felt like my heart skipped a beat, and many people have that, but it has never caused pain before. Naturally, nothing like that happened while I was at the urgent care. I have been feeling more twinges that may be due to misfiring beats again, but without pain, though accompanied by tingling in my hands and feet. But those do seem to be going away. The whole thing may just pass without ever knowing what caused it.

Shoulder day was Monday, and that still felt a bit dicey. I thought that deadlift day on Tuesday would have to be worse, but I actually had a pretty good workout, and my bike ride yesterday was great. Pretty solid chest day today. So I can only hope that it is all going away. Squats tomorrow, so we shall see.

Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:40 am

It's funny how the medical system and all its tests can tell us so much about some things and then leave us stumped with others. I hope it goes away and doesn't recur; whether or not you find out what caused it becomes irrelevant at that point.

Funny thing with me is I prefer stationary bikes over treadmills. I find the constant pounding knackers my knees, which is odd because I don't have that problem when I run outside. Go figure . . .

I'm starting to get back into a regular routine, although my back still feels fatigued and weak at times. It's hasn't held me back with squats, but I'm playing it cautious with deads. I'm getting back into a 5/3/1 BBB template, which I'll give several months, then probably switch to Norton's PHAT routine or a variation of Lyle McDonald's U/L routine. As I get older, I find that lower volume works better for me, so I do have to be careful that I don't overtrain. Speaking of which, I know your primary goal with training is to keep the beast at bay and that you find higher volume and higher intensity helps. Is Wendler's routines enough in that regard (the intensity is there, but quite different from interval training)?
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:18 pm

From an endorphin standpoint, I do not think that it would be adequate on its own, but with the elliptical time to warm up, and high intensity cardio at the end, the whole thing gets me just what I need. I could probably get the same effect from doing cardioacceleration during the lifting time, but I wanted to focus on keeping the anaerobic time anaerobic. But the whole thing is short enough that even with the extra cardio I can get out in my normal time. I do at least walk around the gym during rest times, though. I try to never sit during rest periods. Walking at least keeps the energy level going.

I think that I will definitely try that PHAT routine. I may do something else like one of the M&F four week programs to break things up a bit, and to get me into the time when it is too dark (and cold!) to bicycle before work on Wednesdays (normally a cardio day for me) and I have to go to the gym anyway. As long as I am stuck at the gym Monday through Friday, I may as well try a five day split like PHAT.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:41 pm

Did you get you 1RMs sorted out? Pushing heavy weight is enough to get the endorphins flowing for me and I usually push the assistance exercises (although not to failure) and superset them. Might be a case of different strokes.

I think PHAT is meant to be done with a day off in-between the power and hypertrophy phases. Just something to keep in mind if you're trying to stick to a Monday to Friday schedule. I think the idea is that it looks like this:

Monday: Power upper
Tuesday: Power lower
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Back and shoulder hypertrophy
Friday: Legs hypertrophy
Saturday: Chest and arms hypertrophy
Sunday: Off

Or vary slightly, but you'll probably want that day off in-between each phase.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:00 am

The 1RM thing was not really an issue; it was just that I think the 90% of 1RM (or 3RM) as a starting weight was a bit light.  But like I said, that was intentional on his part -- in the one article, he says that most people overrate their 1RM, and especially if you have never done the program before, starting a little light is a good thing.  I have been increasing the weights each cycle more or less on program, as I already slightly increased the weights after the first week of the first cycle, so the rest went as programmed.  On this last cycle (the third,) I have pretty much been able to do only the programmed reps, even on the last set.  (I did manage two reps for the final set of bench presses yesterday.)  Today is my last day of the last cycle, and I am pretty tired right now so hopefully I can complete that last one rep set!

You are correct about the PHAT setup and I did see that in my brief perusal of it. I was not thinking clearly when I wrote about my plan.  I will put that one off until a bit later into the fall when it is getting to cold and blustery to bicycle even on the weekends.  (Yes, I am a fair weather cyclist.)  Right now I need to come up with a plan for just the next few weeks.  We leave for Niagara Falls on September 9, returning on the 16th, and I have no idea what kind of equipment that I am going to have available.  Hotel gym equipment is usually pretty lame.  I will probably stick to running & other cardio while we are out there, unless there is a convenient gym very close to the hotel, but in the meantime it is a bit funky with the mid-week vacation dates.  I may end up doing 3-1/2 weeks of a hybrid program like a tabeta blast -- in that case, the endurance training would not hurt, as we tend to spend most of our vacations hiking.  I could do the 3-1/2 weeks, go on vacation, and then finish up the last half week when we return.  As long as I am not doing something programmed like 5-3-1 or anything else, the gap should not matter too much.  Then maybe a four week or six week M&F routine followed up by the PHAT.  I could maybe do the four week routine starting next week and just have a gap in the final week, which would not be the end of the world as it will be the last week anyway.  Decisions, decisions. . .

As far as the endorphins go, I think that I need more sustained "pushing" than a workout routine like this provides.  When doing heavy weights with longer rests, I definitely need something to supplement just the lifting.  Cardioacceleration can take care of that, and when I do those M&F routines I generally do some during the rest periods.  In this case, though, I wanted to stay focused on the anaerobic side.  That last blast of intervals after I am done puts me over the edge.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:53 pm

Well, even with 5/3/1 or any other split, you can play with the timing. A day off here and there won't hurt.

You clearly prefer volume training, and that's okay. You might like PHAT, since it incorporates both, which is nice. I had quite a bit of success doing a simple upper-lower split, which incorporated heavy lifting for the compound sets and hypertrophy for the isolation exercises. I also threw in supersets toward the end. In some ways though, I guess that's really not much different from the 5/3/1 BBB template . . .
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:29 am

I opted to go back to Stoppani's Tabata Blast routine for the next three weeks. I can stop that mid-week the fourth week without losing anything, like I would with any other programmed workout. But switching to that after the 5/3/1s was interesting, to say the least. That is about as extreme of a changeup as you can make. I decided to start around 25% of my 1RM, but then just as I was beginning decided to cut back even lighter than that, more like 20%. I figured that was too light, but I have not done Tabatas in awhile, and it was probably better to ease back into them and increase the weights next week. Well, good Lord, was I ever sore even after the first day. I will still probably increase things for most exercises slightly each week (5-10 pounds tops, depending on the exercises) but I made the right call limiting it to barely 20%. Monday was chest day, and even two days later I still feel pretty tight. (Yesterday was legs, and I can only imagine how it will feel tomorrow!) I cannot remember if I am usually this sore on the first week of Tabatas, or if the drastic switch from the 5/3/1s is contributing. Probably at least a bit of the latter.

You are right, that does sound like you are keeping things in the 5/3/1 family!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum