» See the sea
Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:58 am by Usama

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:46 am by ADOR

» ADOR's Hot Rods
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:09 pm by East

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Gretings and introductions!

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Gretings and introductions!

Post  gdmaddog on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:04 am

Do you know if Razer has a decent headphone hook for those? I've been using Sennyheisers so long I forgot most companies don't have a good one:

gdmaddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:31 pm

They do not offer anything in way of a headphone hook that I am aware of. If you are considering purchasing them they are quite heavy and bother your neck after a while. No real complaints about them they are a bit bass light but for gaming I consider that a good thing. Also the built in usb powered amp may be a deal breaker for you if your looking to drive them with your m-audio gear.
East

View user profile http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  gdmaddog on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Back to this system for a moment:

[rant] I am starting to think that DIY computer water-cooling enthusiasts are kinda sorta maybe idiots. Myself included. Why? Well firstly because we're cheap, when we think we can be, and because I just researched tubing products that have been deemed to "suck, never trust!" and determined that they a) are intended for food-grade use (so not, for example, chemically treated water), and b) mostly have a maximum operating temperature of ~52C. [note: computers reach thermal shut down at 100C and can regularly operate when well cooled in the 60-70C range, Graphics cards regularly rise to >70C]

So yeah, computer water-cooling enthusiast, that Tygon E-1000 hose might be placticizer-free, but its still going to begin to break down and release crud into your cooling system if you run Prime95 all night and you system heat-soaks and rises to >60C all. night. long. Even your teflon pan will start to poison your food if you greatly exceed its rated operating temperature.

Why not try Tygon E-LFL? You know, the LAB-grade stuff, designed to be harsh-chemical resilient, and run at a maximum operating temperature of 75C? Oh, right, because $10/ft, and also "Tygon sucks."

Sigh.

I am now on a quest for lab-grade, crystal-clear, flexible, ~90-100C operating temperature hose that is designed for >2500-3000 hrs of use before failure. Because THAT is what we need. Not aquarium parts and beverage lines.

Not enough SCIENCE, too much guesswork and assumptions and anecdotal "evidence" in this hobby of mine.[/rant]

gdmaddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gdmaddog on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:55 pm

East wrote:They do not offer anything in way of a headphone hook that I am aware of. If you are considering purchasing them they are quite heavy and bother your neck after a while. No real complaints about them they are a bit bass light but for gaming I consider that a good thing. Also the built in usb powered amp may be a deal breaker for you if your looking to drive them with your m-audio gear.
USB amp you say? So it takes in 7 line-level inputs? Hmm. I know I can set the Profire 610 to push all channels un-attenuated, perhaps I can lower the level to the unit to line-level that way, and use it simply as a 10-channel DAC...

gdmaddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Why not just bend up hard lines? Sure its a pita but they should last damn near forever.
East

View user profile http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  OMEN on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 pm

When it comes to water cooling. I use distilled water and 4 drops of nuke PHN-biocide. I don't have issues from distilled water as oppose to the gunk from the liquid cooling dye and staining my water blocks. As far as the water cooling enthusiast at overclock.net and evga.com they avoid liquid cooling dyes the fact that it's a pain in the butt to overhaul the system when it comes to gunk. They also use primochill tubing because by far it's a very reliable tubing and you have options to choose colors like blood red tubing to compensate your red OMEN.

OMEN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gdmaddog on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:36 am

Minor update to my Omen:  LG's 34UM95 21:9 monitor (3440x1440)

Runs nicely with a mild overclock to my i7-980X, but I do find if games are left to crank out ~100fps the 780ti Classifieds hit 90C on stock ACX air cooling.  Torn as I may have finally hit the limits of what this venerable Omen case can handle without modification, and I doubt I would find a busted up donor case with the right parts to do something about it (like some low-profile fresh air 120mm fans on the back panel in front of the MB tray)

For now, V-Sync or frame limiting to 60fps (not terrible on a 60Hz monitor) keeps things sub-80C.  An external Radiator may be needed as a means of clinging to my nostalgia a bit longer.  Smile

EDIT: Oh right, I forgot to stop by when I installed these!

gdmaddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iAmCodeMonkey on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:08 pm

"if games are left to crank out ~100fps the 780ti Classifieds hit 90C on stock ACX air cooling."

Those types of coolers vent the hot air back into the case, instead of venting out the back, like a blower-style cooler. If you were running two normal 780ti cards, you would have better card temperatures, due to the bottom card not getting hot from the top card not blowing air down onto it.

My GTX680 Direct-CU II does the same thing, and this affects my idle temps along with having a Corsair H50 blocking the rear exhaust fan, which makes the VRM and CPU temps on my board get hot to the point of thermal shutdown at times, depending on the ambient temperature in my room.

I need to run my Omen with the side panel off during the summer months due to this. I am running an ancient Asus Crosshair II Formula by-the-way. Your Rampage III board looks sweet. Very Happy
iAmCodeMonkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gdmaddog on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:46 pm

iAmCodeMonkey wrote:"if games are left to crank out ~100fps the 780ti Classifieds hit 90C on stock ACX air cooling."

Those types of coolers vent the hot air back into the case, instead of venting out the back, like a blower-style cooler. If you were running two normal 780ti cards, you would have better card temperatures, due to the bottom card not getting hot from the top card not blowing air down onto it.

Yeah, I knew that getting into it, but I couldn't settle for reference "hairdrier-fan" 780ti SCs over the Classifieds.  My options at this point are to WC them out of the case to an external radiator via a PCI-slot-plate pass-through, or find a partly damaged Omen case and salvage the back panel off it, as there appears to me to be space to drop two or three low-profile 80mm fans on the back panel drawing cold air from the far side, in front of the motherboard tray.  Since a) the 80mms would make more noise and b) getting my hands on a donor back panel is highly unlikely, even at an unreasonable cost, I'm just letting this one cook a bit.  Everything but Watch_Dogs keeps the GPUs below 80C.  Even if I drill out the drive cages or drop in a pair of HW labs Black Ice M184 rads into the HDD bays, I doubt 2 194s and a 240 can cool 2 780ti classifieds and an i7-X980.

Basically, there is a chance this case will wind up in someone else's hands the next time I upgrade major components.  And I for one am not looking forward to finally letting go of the Voodoo dream... Wink

For now, I'm distracted trying to suss out some oddball software issues with the GF's 4-year-old HP Envy

gdmaddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iAmCodeMonkey on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:40 am

"Even if I drill out the drive cages or drop in a pair of HW labs Black Ice M184 rads into the HDD bays, I doubt 2 184s and a 240 can cool 2 780ti classifieds and an i7-980X."

You never know. I found this review on those smaller rads, and if this person is correct, they would be ok for extra CPU cooling if you went that route:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7142/ex-rad-128/Danger_Den_Black_Ice_GTX_Xtreme_M184_Radiator_-_Black.html

I myself have toyed with that idea, using one 240 in the front, a 120 on the back with push/pull fans, and 2 GTX M92 rads, one in each hard drive cage. If you can find good static-pressure 92mm fans, it could work in theory, depending on the TDP of your CPU and how much noise you can tolerate.

Just putting it out there.  Very Happy 
iAmCodeMonkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gdmaddog on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:30 am

iAmCodeMonkey wrote:"Even if I drill out the drive cages or drop in a pair of HW labs Black Ice M184 rads into the HDD bays, I doubt 2 184s and a 240 can cool 2 780ti classifieds and an i7-980X."

You never know. I found this review on those smaller rads, and if this person is correct, they would be ok for extra CPU cooling if you went that route:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7142/ex-rad-128/Danger_Den_Black_Ice_GTX_Xtreme_M184_Radiator_-_Black.html

I myself have toyed with that idea, using one 240 in the front, a 120 on the back with push/pull fans, and 2 GTX M92 rads, one in each hard drive cage. If you can find good static-pressure 92mm fans, it could work in theory, depending on the TDP of your CPU and how much noise you can tolerate.

Just putting it out there.  Very Happy 

Been toying with the idea of 2 184s in the bays and a 120 (plus the existing 240) for a while now.  I suspect with the addition of IceDragon (or Mayhems pastel) nanofluid, I could probably pull off 2 GPUs and a lightly OC'd CPU.

Budget is currently aimed at a MB/RAM/CPU upgrade, first, with some repair/replace extra money to tear down and clean the existing loop.  Perhaps later I'll look back at improving things with a brace of 184s. The only issue at that point is the 184s would be wasted on any move to a new case.

gdmaddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iAmCodeMonkey on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:31 am

"IceDragon (or Mayhems pastel) nanofluid"

What are you using for coolant right now?

Don't waste your money or time on using colored coolants. They can stain your blocks over-time and lose their color due to the dye compounds separating from the liquids. Which can clog up your CPU blocks. And my advice is to use clear coolant and colored tubing. It will make maintenance easier and last much longer* if you do your due diligence in the beginning (i.e: flushing your radiators out before use).

I am planning on water-cooling my Omen after I upgrade my Motherboard, CPU and RAM, hopefully sometime next year also.

* When I say "much longer", I have seen that most people get at least one year out of clear coolant, sometimes two years depending on how much you use your PC. Colored coolants must be changed every six months or so.
iAmCodeMonkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:06 am

Thanks for the tip on that, I will have to keep that in mind when I get a cooling system for my second rage.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gdmaddog on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:19 pm

iAmCodeMonkey wrote:"IceDragon (or Mayhems pastel) nanofluid"

What are you using for coolant right now?

Mayhems X1

gdmaddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gdmaddog on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:45 am

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've suffered a catastrophic failure of my WC loop (my own fault, really, I got lazy), and it took out my MB, possibly CPU, and probably at least one of my GPUs.

During the teardown, I discovered the front bezel of the Koolance 401x2 reservoir was not only aluminum, but scratched, had a failed o-ring, and had been corroding my loop...

The GPU is likely a gonner (top GPU in foreground)

And the MB &/OR CPU are bricked (note the solid red "CPU" LED):

I ordered a replacement MB used off eBay, but the lister said "lightly used" and meant "lightly abused" obviously, so its going back:

So, at this point I've decided to sell off my gear, and re-invest in an all-in-one from Corsair, a refurb corsair 800D case, Asus X99-E WS MB, i7-5930K, and Corsair Platinum RAM.  Maybe someday soon I'll go back to DIY in that case or sell it for a 900D, but at this point, I need to part ways with my Voodoo loves. (see other thread for eBay info when it goes up, should be anouther 2 weeks or so)

gdmaddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:41 am

We will be looking for it.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content