» Camper Redo
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:38 pm by ADOR

» ADOR's Hot Rods
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:09 pm by East

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm by BlindLemon77

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

» My Voodoo Omen case is now empty sitting in our basement...
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am by Rozzinator

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The New Other Bench Audiophile Thread, astonishing arrogance edition

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The New Other Bench Audiophile Thread, astonishing arrogance edition

Post  Seamaster on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:37 pm

I'm sorry to hear you're still in a cycle, and even more sorry to hear about Saturday night. I hope the new neurologist works out and can get you back to being cycle-free.

The pecs, delts and triceps routine was horrible. I naively thought it would be the easy workout of the routine, but it turned out to be brutal. It looks like this:

WORKOUT 2: PECS, DELTS, TRICEPS

Chest Giant Set:

Plyo pushup: 10 reps
Incline dumbbell press: 10 reps
Flat bench dumbbell flye: 10 reps
Isometric plank hold: 30 to 60 seconds

Complete three giant sets, resting three minutes between each giant set. Rest 30 seconds between exercises.

Shoulder Giant Set:

Push press: 8 reps
Seated half Arnold press: 10 reps
Standing dumbell lateral raise*: 8 reps
Bentover rear-delt plate raise: 10 reps

Complete four giant sets, resting three minutes between each giant set. Rest 30 seconds between exercises.

* Hold the top position for a 1-second count.

Triceps Straight Sets:

Dead-stop triceps extension: 15* reps (rest 2 minutes between sets)
Medicine ball pushup: to failure (rest 1 minute between sets)

* On every fifth rep, hold the bottom position for 20 seconds.

----------

Plyo pushups aren't a problem for me, and they were fine for the first giant set, but then they just zapped me so that subsequent sets were a struggle to get through, particularly with the incline presses. And my chest is generally one of my stronger body parts! The shoulders were even more of a struggle because I had already pre-fatigued them doing the chest exercises. However, I did add to the difficulty by doing full Arnold presses. And I did the bent-over raises using dumbbells. Needless to say that triceps didn't require much at the end.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:23 am

Ah, yes, O.K., that does not look like it would be the easiest!  It kind of reminds me of the Up and Down routine when I was doing it.  The split is a pretty standard chest/triceps, back/biceps, legs and shoulders, and I expected the paired days to be nasty, but I was not expecting how really nasty the shoulder day was, even though it was only one body part.  Granted, he REALLY hit everything, from all shoulder muscles to multiple trap exercises (including behind-the-back straight arm pushdowns, which were a new one on me) and even rotator cuff exercises at the end.  And it hurt.  But I have not lifted since last Thursday, and I have not done hard cardio in more than two weeks.  So here is my workout plan from yesterday through Monday, assuming that all goes well with my drugs:

Yesterday: walk 30 minutes at 4mph.

This morning: walk 5 minutes at 4mph, 25 minutes at 4.5mph, and 5 minutes at 4mph.

Tomorrow: walk five minutes, do one-minute walk/run intervals for 10 minutes, then do two full-body circuits of no more than 12 reps, NOT to failure.

Sunday: walk five minutes, then try intervals for 30 minutes if I can.

Monday: reset the whole Up/Down program and start it all over again.

Pretty hard-core, eh?

The tricky thing is that while regular exercise keeps the headaches away when I am not getting them, it can trigger headaches when I am.  It seems to partly be related to core body temperature, which is why I have been letting the cardio slide.  It has been triggering headaches.  The weights have been less of a problem, as long as I take it easy warming up first, and keep to at least 1 minute rest periods.  I tried doing some pushups after walking yesterday and felt really weak, which is why I decided to through the circuits on for Saturday to "remind" my muscles what they should do. But I really, really feel terrible right now, and I need to do something to get back to normal. This is my plan, God willing!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:10 pm

You do what you gotta do. There is nothing wrong with your workout. Combined with the correct treatment, I hope it helps to pull you out of your cycle. There is plenty of time to get back into your other workouts.

I am continuing on the giant-set workouts. The legs workout was the worst yet:

WORKOUT 3: LEGS, CALVES, ABS

Legs Giant Set 1:

Dumbbell jump split squat: 8 reps per side
Deadlift: 8 reps
Leg extension: 15 reps, followed by one drop-set of 15 reps with 50% of the weight
Body-weight jump split squat: 6 reps per side

Complete four giant sets, resting four minutes between each giant set. Rest 30 seconds between exercises.

Legs Giant Set 2:

Dumbbell jump squat: 10 reps
Leg press (narrow stance): 10 reps
Crossover lunge: 8 reps per side
Leg extension: 10 reps

Complete four giant sets, resting four minutes between each giant set. Rest 30 seconds between exercises.

Abs, Calves Superset:

Decline situp: 20 reps
Seated calf raise: 20 reps

Complete three supersets, resting one minute between supersets.

I did swap out the dumbbell jump split swap for straight back squats midway through the first giant set. I know that's not the intent of the workout, but I wanted to do squats. Regardless, this was a tough, tough workout. It essentially added to 32 sets for legs, and the leg-extension drop sets didn't help matters. I was exhausted after and my legs are still sore.

The good news is that I have my back workout this evening . . .
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:56 am

Ah, yes, that leg workout looks nasty! Hopefully the back was not as bad.

Well, my plans went to pot. The medications are not working and I have not stopped the headaches yet. My new neurologist had me up the dosage of one of them and I am supposed to call in this morning if they did not work, and then we will switch to something else. Even at the higher dosage I was getting three to four headaches a day. However, last night I did not get any. I woke up at the times when I would have, but no headache pain. So maybe it just took that extra day. I am far beyond optimism at this point, however. It gets too disappointing when they come back. So I may call in regardless to get the new prescription so that I have it ready, but stick with the old plan for another night. The real pisser is that after taking another few days off from exercise, I decided to reward myself on Tuesday by going in for a simple 4mph walk. I only made it 15 minutes before a headache started. Now that may not have been triggered by the exercise but may have been one that I was going to have anyway, or else it may have been triggered by perfume that one of the ladies at the gym was wearing (I could smell/sense something) but that scared me away again. So I am off for the rest of this week, and maybe, just maybe, if the medications work after all I can start walking and light weights next week, followed by a week of slightly heavier cardio mixed with a pretty basic four-day weight program, and if all of that goes well I can go back to the Up/Down program again -- though i wil have to start it over at this point.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:48 pm

It doesn't sound like you're having any fun. I'm truly sorry to hear that. I've read accounts of people who have suffered from clusters (as well as your own), and even watched attacks on YouTube. They just sound horrible. There is no other way to put it.

I hope something works and you're able to kick the cycle. My fingers are crossed for you.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:07 pm

Still working on the drug plan. No real headaches in the last three nights, though I have woken up with what we clusterheads refer to as "shadows." Until they are all gone, including the shadows, I am not out of the woods. The worst part is the lack of exercise right now -- I really feel awful, to say nothing of having put on weight. Feeling terrible from the lack of exercise combined with feeling terrible from the medication is not a good combination. I do so want to lift right now!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:33 am

The good news is that you have muscle memory on your side. You will quickly get your gains back once you are able to get back at it.

That's good news about no bouts in the last three nights. Hopefully that trend continues and the shadows go away.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Well, I really do not want to keep count at this point, but I actually kind of need to so that I can track when to stop taking the medication. I am at eight days and nights now. One of the big side effects that I am getting, probably from the calcium channel blocker, is a badly swollen lower right leg. Swelling of the extremeties is possible, but for some reason it is only hitting that one. But it makes it hard to put a shoe on, let alone exercise. I did do a full chest/triceps day today -- no program, just some miscellany to get back into the swing. I stuck to three sets of 10 and pretty basic exercises. Felt pretty good overall, but I am definitely at a really low energy level right now.

I should probably call in about the swelling. That is listed as a more severe side effect. Mind you, I have had it for three weeks now, so I think that I am not going to keel over suddenly, but best to check in.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Here is what I use for music-on-the-go...

Post  iAmCodeMonkey on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:52 pm

http://iamcodemonkey.tumblr.com/post/77094494306/my-fiio-x3-portable-music-player-and-razer

Less talk about weight-lifting, more audiophile goodness! Very Happy /M\
iAmCodeMonkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Oh, we have absolutely hijacked this thread for weight lifting purposes. Mind you, it was our thread to begin with, so there you go!

I still use an iPod, mostly because if you have to go with compressed audio I prefer Apple's codec to most of the other options out there, and even at 320kbps I can put my entire cd collection -- with some room to spare -- on a 160gb iPod classic. I would much prefer a more audiophile-oriented player, but only if it would have the storage space to fit my entire collection losslessly, while still being small and light enough to wear on my hip while working out. And, without costing an arm and a leg. Right now, there is no such player. The Fiio does a max of 128gb, right? I am not even sure what I would need. A terabyte? More?
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iAmCodeMonkey on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:59 pm

Iago wrote:Oh, we have absolutely hijacked this thread for weight lifting purposes.  Mind you, it was our thread to begin with, so there you go!

I still use an iPod, mostly because if you have to go with compressed audio I prefer Apple's codec to most of the other options out there, and even at 320kbps I can put my entire cd collection -- with some room to spare -- on a 160gb iPod classic.  I would much prefer a more audiophile-oriented player, but only if it would have the storage space to fit my entire collection losslessly, while still being small and light enough to wear on my hip while working out.   And, without costing an arm and a leg.  Right now, there is no such player.  The Fiio does a max of 128gb, right?  I am not even sure what I would need.  A terabyte?  More?  

The manual for mine says up to 64gb. I am using about half of my 32gb SD card.
iAmCodeMonkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:45 am

Might be the X5 that does 128gb. But either way, that would not be enough storage for me. I am surprised at how little storage that higher-end players have. Presumably their owners want to listen to things losslessly, so storage should be at a premium. Maybe I just use a portable player differently, but one of the reasons why I have it is to carry my entire collection with me while on the road. I do route sales all day and I do not want to have to predetermine what I am going to listen to on any given day -- if I have everything with, I can listen to whatever I want whenever I want. But that is a lot of data, especially uncompressed or even lossless.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:17 am

As the price of solid state hard drives falls we should see more companies offering their music players with higher storage capacities and for less money.
East

View user profile http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:03 am

Indeed.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:51 pm

Has the swelling gone down?

Lossless files take up a huge amount of space. But for playback in a car (particularly a company car), I'm not sure you'd really notice or appreciate it; I'd stick with the Apple too.

As an aside, these giant-set workouts are brutal!
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:29 am

No luck on the swelling yet. I cannot really run on it much at all, so cardio has been an issue. The best that I can do is one-minute intervals, at a slower pace than normal, and even that only after walking for at LEAST ten minutes to warm it up/numb it up. I started reducing the dosage of the one medication, but no effect yet. On the other hand, if I make it through tonight I will be at three weeks so I can start reducing medication a bit more aggressively.

I have only done limited giant-set type things, and certainly not for whole workouts. For example, tri-sets on shoulders. And even those are nasty! How much longer do you have to go?

And I do agree with you about car audio, of course. Ultimately, though, it would indeed be wonderful to carry your entire collection with you losslessly so that you can do with it what you will, wherever you will.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:07 pm

I have three weeks to go and then I'm going to have a de-load week of low activity (either just cardio or bodyweight-based workouts). My body needs the break.

I have a fairly standard split I'll do after that, where the workout is roughly split into three approaches: First compound move is with heavy weight and low reps, second compound move is done with moderate weight and reps, isolation and accompanying moves are done in the 10-12 rep range. So, kind of an all-purpose workout done using straight sets. It'll be a nice break from the giant sets. I plan to do that for about three weeks.

Then I'm going to do a rest-pause routine to hopefully stimulate new growth and burn some fat. This workout is similar to a Tabatas approach.

I would also like my entire collection lossless. Did you pick up the new Oppo. That would be one reason to transfer all of your music (as least digital files) as lossless files onto a hard drive. It could then be hooked up to the Oppo as a network-attached storage (NAS) device.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:37 pm

I do have the 105. I am still pretty content at this point just using discs. The thing is, minus a high-storage portable player, I would have to maintain two seperate ripped databases: one lossless on the drive for the 105 and one lossy for the iPod (or whatever.) Ripping everything twice would lack amusement value.

The one feature of the 105 that I really do want to explore more, but have not really had a chance to, is the built-in headphone amp. All that I have are the NuForce in-ears and my old Sony MDR-F1s, which are pretty long in the tooth. I love the NuForces, but I would like to explore on-ear options instead for home listening. Are Grado SR80is still amongst the best of my sub-$100 options? Obviously, sound leakage will not be a problem in my home theatre room, and I am not sure of the exact output of the amp so something relatively easy to drive would seem safest. All of that kind of screams "Grado."

I tried to ramp up the weights last week, but it is still tough. I skipped legs today and am going to try them again tomorrow morning -- they tend to make me dizzy.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:56 pm

I agree that ripping music really isn't much fun. Each album takes long enough to be a chore, but is too short to really allow for doing anything else of any substance. Short version: It's a pain in the ass.

Most Grados are pretty easy to drive, so they are a good choice for that reason. Comfort, however, is not a strong point, and you might want to demo a pair before buying to be sure you like the sound. I do, but I know others who find them too forward and bright. The SR 80i is a decent buy for the money. For $50 more, you could step up to the SR 125i; the SR 225i are $200. I think either of the latter two would be a better long-term purchase, but I'm not sure if you want to stretch your budget that far. The 225i are a pretty fun set. Everything is a bit more punchy and the bass is tighter. Of course, this is with back-to-back comparisons. Once you get whatever set home, I'm sure you'll be happy, assuming you were happy with the sound during the demo.

Slow and steady is better when getting back to working out. Just enjoy it for what it is. You'll get there.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:01 pm

Well, I like tight bass -- in fact, I will settle for no less -- but bright and forward is unlikely to please me. I will listen to them, but any other suggestions?
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Have you looked at Sennheiser? The HD-518 is is supposed to be a good buy. That set is a little over your budget (at $120 or so, I think), but might be worth checking out. Sennheiser are known for tight bass and an open, laid-back sound.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:20 am

I will have to take a look at them. While I would prefer to keep it under $100 that is hardly set in stone. The description seems to fit my bill. A quick Google did not find any professional reviews. Sennheiser's own store has them at $97.98 plus shipping, though. They have the 558s at about $130 on sale as well. I will have to do some listening regardless. The weird thing is that at my age I have doubtless lost much of the upper end of my hearing, yet I still seem so sensitive to headphones (or audio in general) that is too bright. There must be something more going on than the strict process of hearing. But regardless, the "laid back" description seems more up my alley.

Still working on getting back to things. I finally went in to the doctor over the swollen foot and they put me on a diuretic that is paying off after a week. I am hoping that it is back to normal after another week, by the end of which time I should also be off of all my headache meds, and then I can start pushing myself the week after that. I want to restart the Up Down program by the end of the month.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:39 pm

I'm glad to hear you're getting things back in line. You've have a rough go this last while.

Listening is always best. The HD-558s will be the better purchase; I didn't mention them because I thought they were more expensive than what you listed.

I'm having a deload week after finishing the giant-set routine. I might be fooling myself, but I believe I made some gains doing that workout, and the break this week feels nice. I am going to the gym tomorrow, but only to do a very basic routine; then I'm going to get back into it next week.

Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:09 am

Since I am now off of all meds and I am still struggling with intensity/energy levels, especially with cardio and legs, I decided to add some cardioacceleration this week.  My cardio days have been at such a lower level that I figured that spreading more cardio throughout the week would make up for it.  To get myself back into condition I have been doing sort of a variant of ECO but on a standard four-day split (chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders/traps/abs, legs/calves.)  Per body part I have been doing one plyo, one or two compound, and one isolation all at ten reps (except for the plyos at five) with progressive rests -- two minutes during the plyos, ninety seconds during the compound and one minute during the isolation.  While I have been feeling so weak, the progressive rests were a good way of giving me the rest that I needed starting out while pushing me toward the end.  This week I added cardio for half the rest periods -- one minute during the plyos, 45 seconds during the compounds and 30 seconds during the isolations.  And doing all of that, I had my best workouts since prior to my illness, except for the leg day.

In fact, I think that I am going to re-start the Up/Down next week.  I may still have to adjust a few weights down a bit, but such is life.  The only problem is that I am still struggling with legs and I may have to adjust them way down, but if I am feeling nearly back to normal for the upper body I am not going to hold that back just because of the legs.  Part of the problems with the legs right now is that I am getting out of breath/lightheaded, especially during squats.  So if I have do drop them way down and just accept it so be it.  The other problem is that the swelling has still not gone down on the one foot and calf.  I am going back into the doctor today to see if there is anything else to be done.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iAmCodeMonkey on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:07 pm

If you guys are interested, I have recently purchased these beauties:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.net/Headphones/Headphones/Headphones/P5.html

Here is my HeadFi profile if any of you are curious:
http://www.head-fi.org/u/392987/iamcodemonkey

Happy listening! Very Happy
iAmCodeMonkey

View user profile