» ADOR's Hot Rods
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:14 pm by ADOR

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm by BlindLemon77

» Camper Redo
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:45 pm by ADOR

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

» My Voodoo Omen case is now empty sitting in our basement...
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am by Rozzinator

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The New Other Bench Audiophile Thread, astonishing arrogance edition

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The New Other Bench Audiophile Thread, astonishing arrogance edition

Post  Seamaster on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Can you please repost the second link?

I like that workout. I think I might give it a go. Which means I now have my workouts figured out for the rest of summer!
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:05 am

It is good to have a plan.

Sorry about the link. These board have always been twitchy when trying to post multiple links, and now they are even twitchier. Also, for some reason, where before they always force-placed links at the end of a post, even when you tried to put them in the middle, now they force them at the beginning, so you have to move them. Might just have to enter them the hard way instead of using the tools.

http://www.jimstoppani.com/home/articles/lighten-up?preview
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:28 pm

No worries, and thanks. I will give Stoppani's article a read this afternoon.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:43 pm

The thrust of it is a defense of lighter weights and more reps for adding mass, and after having done things like the HIIT 100s, I have to agree. Mind you, his bottom line message is not that they are better, but rather that you need to keep changing things up, and not to stick to one plan for adding mass.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:31 pm

It's a decent article. Funny thing is that I can't help but feel like Stopanni is trying to sell me something whenever I read his articles. Of course, it's just the tone of his writing and I'm sure he does it to be energetic and to motivate.

Interestingly, Stoppanni recommends only training one set to failure when aiming to gain strength (in the article you linked to, focused on muscle growth, he recommends training most sets to failure). That is consistent with what I've read elsewhere. I just find it interesting how growing muscle doesn't always equate to gaining strength (at least maximally).
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:12 pm

No, sometimes they are almost cross-purposes. Almost.

And yes, he always heavily promotes his site. The articles like that one are intended as a draw into his full website. But I still happily pay for it, because he always gives me something different to think about and try. Even if like this time I am running home to the M&F 4-week mamma.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:46 am

Stoppani also gets a lot of press space in Muscle and Fitness and the other affiliate magazines like Flex, Men's Fitness and so on. I like to read these magazines for motivation and ideas related to training and even diet, to the extent that I follow a diet, if you can call it that. I let taste win out far to often (i.e., nearly always), but we've already spoken about that.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Yes, thanks for reminding me of my Achille's Stomach.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Not sure if you read the print version of Muscle and Fitness or just check out their website. But the August edition includes Jackman's Wolverine workout. Looks pretty cool and I think I'm going to give it a go.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:50 pm

I usually just check things out online. I will have to take a look. I just ended the four-week program and started the similar M&F six-week program (the one that alternates weeks of 3 sets of 6 followed by a pump set of 25 with weeks of four sets of 12, all to failure.) I will be in need of something pretty different at the end of that.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 pm

They have it set up as a four-week program. I'll see how it goes, as there are a couple of challenges:

1. the program calls for five workouts per week. I can swing four, but it will be difficult to find time for five.

2. the program has a heavy shoulder day. Most other body parts have a balanced workout, but shoulders looks to be killer. I will need to be careful that that doesn't result in overtraining.

Otherwise, the program looks interesting, mixing core main lifts with drop sets, supersets and giant sets to up the intensity. On the flip side it includes some brutal exercises, like Zercher squats. Those things suck.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:17 am

"Suck" would be an understatement.

Not surprised by the emphasis on shoulders -- the workout would be designed for maximum visual impact, rather than for balance. He needs to look big for the movie. Not too different than the shoulder/trap emphasis in Tom Hardy's Bronson workout. I will take a look at it when it posts online. (By the way, I knew that I saw it somewhere -- it printed in an ad banner when I printed off the six week workout last Sunday morning.)

Unusually wobbly after the leg day today. The 3/6+1/25 week on that program only has five leg exercises plus one for calves, but pushing the consistent heavy weight for the whole workout and ending each exercise with the 25 rep set really hurts.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:28 pm

I have decided that Jackman is an animal, especially when it comes to shoulders. Damn. That's Day 1 in the program and I did it last night. I was hurting during the workout, after the workout and into the evening, and I woke up hurting. If followed to the letter, it is a tough workout, and I was using baby weights for some of it. I have to be straight up though: Shoulders are my weak area, so it could just be that I wimped out.

The leg, back and chest workouts seem reasonable. Legs are tonight and we'll see how that goes. The lower back and core workout looks to again suck, with deadlifts and Zerchers in the mix.

I know what you mean about moving heavy weight. Three sets doesn't seem much, but when you're moving heavy weight, the second set is tough and the third particularly so. Throw in the 25-rep set and it'd burn. Then repeat for five exercises. Yes, that would hurt.

As for Hardy, he's gotten to the point where he's all traps and back!
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Hardy may be unbalanced, but I would happily take that kind of imbalance! And the Jackmann thing is frustrating, too. I know that those guys work their asses off to achieve what they do, but it does not change the fact that I could follow the same routine, diet, and intensity, and never even get in the same ballpark as they do. Well, life goes on.

I might pick up the print version of the magazine just to check it out.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:37 pm

Don't beat yourself up too much. There are many who speculate that a lot of these guys juice, even if only for the role. I really don't know either way, but I do know that they have access to the best personal trainers who basically live with them and workout with them while they shoot the movie. That means they have someone taking care of their nutrition, setting workouts and workout schedules, arranging for massages and whatever else, laying out multis and other supplements, and generally taking care of them. All they have to do is eat the food and work out. Yes, I'm simplifying, but it makes it much easier to achieve when you have that kind of personal attention. It's also easy to eat clean when the food is put down in front of you or you have a multi-million dollar deal that requires you to look good on screen. Those are some fairly strong motivating factors.

Plus, I'm sure some dabble in creatine or other cell volumizers. There is nothing wrong with that stuff, but it can do a number on your body if not used and monitored correctly. (One of the reasons I've never bothered with creatine.) Again, the stars have access to the best trainers and medical advisers, so they'd be able to take advantage of these kinds of things and make sure the supplements are used safely.

And, sure, they have busy schedules while shooting, but otherwise their life doesn't consist of 40 hour or more workweeks coupled with other time-sucking commitments. Such is the life of the stars.

Lastly, most are on screen because they're good looking. They have good genes to begin with and that often transfers to their body and it's ability to grow and be molded.

That all said, I don't want to take away from their dedication. Even if all the above is true, I know they're still working their assess off. Good for them.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:38 pm

No, I am absolutely not taking anything away from them, and I know that they are absolutely busting their asses off, professional training or not. But regardless of the hard work and expert advice, genetics are clearly at play. And you are right, as ridiculously good-looking movie stars, there is no doubt that the genetic gods have smiled on them. (Well, O.K., Hardy is not exactly in the same league as the impossibly good looking Jackmann, but even other actors have a hard time holding a candle to him.

Speaking of that, if I have time I may give The Wolverine a gander this weekend.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Incidentally, the wolverine workout is turning out to be quite difficult. If you're into S&M, give it a go. It's a good balance of strength and high intensity, and that's making for painful outings to the gym.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:12 am

Well, they are all painful, depending how you look at it. I will still at least check it out. But I do think that I need to switch to a shorter rest period style workout for the next routine; something like the M&F continuous partial recovery workout (which is all 30-45 second rests.) I still like mixing those in with more conventional routines like what I am doing now.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:19 am

Just got a post from Stoppani with a workout plan that looks tailor-made for your usual goals of emphasizing strength over mass:

http://www.jimstoppani.com/home/articles/5-3-2-strength-program?preview
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:58 pm

In the interest of full disclosure, I have absolutely nothing against someone who wants to workout and gain size.

In the past, I tended toward strength training because it fit my needs. In high school and university, I ran track and wrestled. Extra weight without strength is counter productive in both situations. In the case of wrestling, it is a benefit to be as light as possible and as strong as possible. I moved to Canada when I was 10 and because of the different education systems, I found myself in classes with students two or more years older than me. I overcompensated in my early teens by getting stronger so that I could hold my own against the other guys in my class who were older and naturally bigger. That mentality carried forward into my adult years until recently (I actually like the idea of gaining size and have had some success over the last few months -- the biggest difference has come from eating more and upping my protein intake). I do have to be careful though. As an example, I've always had trouble finding jeans that fit. To date, there are two brands that I can wear: Lucky jeans and Gap jeans, both as loose cuts. Other brands don't fit me in the thigh and ass, unless I buy a waist size that's way too big. I still recall the first time I got fitted for a suit. The tailor commented, "This is odd, I have to take up your leg, let out your thigh and seat and take in your waist. I don't usually see that." Translation: you're short and have an ass.

That said, I still like the idea of functional training and being physically better at something because of the training. Tabatas don't really target strength gains (in the purest sense), but they do a great job of targeting muscle endurance, which does translate into strength indirectly and I think that's fantastic. I now like that kind of training (except for when I'm doing it and it burns).

The wolverine workout is deceiving, but if followed to the letter, it is surprisingly effective. It opens with core strength exercises, then moves to other compound exercises with reduced rest times (no more than a minute between sets), and generally finishes with a cruel giant set of some kind. It also introduces some unusual exercises that are murder to get through. It might be just what you're after.

I would love to have a build like Jackson or even Hardy, but that's unlikely to happen for me, simply because I'm short. I'd have better luck at Wahlberg-like build -- he and I are similar heights, only he generally carries less body fat.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:24 am

Well, I would settle for any of the above!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:36 am

How about The Maxx?

And since you're following Stoppani quite a bit now, when are you going to get inked?
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:19 am

Sometime between never and shortly after that.

And I was not knocking anything by showing that workout as it seemed to fit your bill with the strength-not-mass goal; I only did because you had said that was your target. Nothing wrong with focused goals!

Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:02 pm

You're not afraid of a needle, are you?!

I appreciate you posting that working. I didn't think you were knocking anything. I guess I fell into a situation of sharing too much information . . .
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:31 pm

I have never been afraid of needles, but having spent two decades injecting myself for headaches has certainly removed any traces of trepidation about it. I just hate tattoos. (Nothing personal, if you have any!)

By the way, not a Stoppani recommendation, but the guy at the GNC that I go to regularly talked me into a different post-workout formula, and I gotta say I like it. It combines fast-metabolizing carbohydrates (unrefined cane syrup; no refined white sugar) with 20 grams of protein, BCAAs, etc. The stuff tastes pretty good, too; fruit flavors, not the standard whey protein style.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4275706
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top