» ADOR's Hot Rods
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:20 pm by ADOR

» Camper Redo
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:39 am by Iago

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm by BlindLemon77

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

» My Voodoo Omen case is now empty sitting in our basement...
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am by Rozzinator

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The Better-Late-Than-Never Audiophile Thread: Iago finally pulled the trigger on an LFE sub

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Better-Late-Than-Never Audiophile Thread: Iago finally pulled the trigger on an LFE sub

Post  IBNotRich on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:32 am

I bought a HSU sub about 10 years or so ago. It was a good first sub. HSU wasn't really well known when I bought it so I wasn't sure what I was in for. I ended up enjoying it, except for its size. It didn't meet the WAF. I ended up selling it to a friend after I bought a Sunfire True Sub. It produced more bass and was nice and small. My friend still has the HSU though, and still loves it.
IBNotRich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Better-Late-Than-Never Audiophile Thread: Iago finally pulled the trigger on an LFE sub

Post  Iago on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:44 am

IB!!!!!

Hsu has been doing the "internet direct" thing since before there was an internet. Their original subs were passive designs back in the early Nineties. Needless to say, they have gone through many iterations since!

I used to sell True Subs and was not too impressed with them, at least for my needs. Very small and very powerful, but less musical to my ears. Matter of taste, though -- customers were usually very happy with them.

Nice thing about the SAF or WAF factors in my case is that it is my room, and my spouse does not care what things look like down there. Could be the size of a Buick and it would not much matter to her.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IBNotRich on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:22 am

I agree. It isn't the most musical, but since I mostly used it for watching movies (current apartment is too small and too 'thin' for me to have set up), it worked fine for my needs. Although, I actually like it better than I did my HSU, which was a ported model. Even when I plugged the port I always felt it was too "huphy". It may have just been a lack of placement options at the time, however. The Sunfire gave me the option of using the mic setup to tune the EQ, which always helped to smooth out the bumps - at least at the listening position.
IBNotRich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:19 am

Well, nearly all Hsu models are ported, even the current ones, which has always been a sticking point for me. Plugging ports with foam plugs is just not the same thing as a sealed cabinet. The ULS-15 is their only sealed model (I think that it may well be the only sealed model that they have ever done.) Regardless of design, though, getting a flat response without resorting to room correction is indeed a chore. I still have not found the best location for mine, though I have not really spent the time lately playing with it. I will get it there eventually.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 am

Audyssey!

BAG
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:56 am

AVS troll!!!!!!!!

Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Quite. Especially considering I do not have Audyssey!
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:38 pm

The true definition of an AVS troll; making recommendations despite an utter lack of experience!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 am

Best. Thing. Ever.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Hey, I am sure that you could really make some trouble around there . . .
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 am

Only I'd get no satisfaction out of doing that.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top