» Camper Redo
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:38 pm by ADOR

» ADOR's Hot Rods
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:09 pm by East

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm by BlindLemon77

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

» My Voodoo Omen case is now empty sitting in our basement...
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am by Rozzinator

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The Better-Late-Than-Never Audiophile Thread: Iago finally pulled the trigger on an LFE sub

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Better-Late-Than-Never Audiophile Thread: Iago finally pulled the trigger on an LFE sub

Post  Iago on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:38 am

Balancing my desire to not spend too much money with getting what I want in a sub, namely a 15" driver in a sealed box, and I ended up with the Hsu Research ULS-15 at $1118.00 shipped. I will not bother with too many details for those who would not even understand them, but if Seamaster ever gets his business in order and shows up again I can offer my thoughts on why I went that direction. I think that it will serve me nicely for what I need it to do, and Hsu has been around since the Eighties (they were selling direct via mail order before there was an internet for internet-direct sales, so Dr. Hsu has truly been a pioneer, and has been building quality subs for decades.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15.html
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Better-Late-Than-Never Audiophile Thread: Iago finally pulled the trigger on an LFE sub

Post  mrblur on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:53 am

fuck "...spouse friendly.." I'm in... To rich for my taste. I'm happy with my m-audio speakers. Love to hear what you have to say!

mrblur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Better-Late-Than-Never Audiophile Thread: Iago finally pulled the trigger on an LFE sub

Post  Iago on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:05 pm

The Hsu sub costs $500 less than Vandersteen's V2W, which would be their most comparable sub, and only costs about 8% of the total costs of my other speakers, so it is a good value. Plus, it is very spouse-friendly, as my spouse encouraged me to pull the trigger -- in fact, she was pushing me to shell out the $1550 for the V2W. I am happy saving the extra money, though, and this has some elements that I actually prefer to the Vandersteen.

The comment on Hsu's website about spouse-friendly referred to the size -- a 15" driver in a sealed box that is 18" on each side is about as small as you can get with that driver (while still having an enclosure dense enough to reduce colorations.) Some of Hsu's ported subs are real monsters -- the VTF-15H is more like 25" on a side.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Iago wrote:Balancing my desire to not spend too much money with getting what I want in a sub, namely a 15" driver in a sealed box, and I ended up with the Hsu Research ULS-15 at $1118.00 shipped. I will not bother with too many details for those who would not even understand them, but if Seamaster ever gets his business in order and shows up again I can offer my thoughts on why I went that direction. I think that it will serve me nicely for what I need it to do, and Hsu has been around since the Eighties (they were selling direct via mail order before there was an internet for internet-direct sales, so Dr. Hsu has truly been a pioneer, and has been building quality subs for decades.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15.html

Going on the price I take it you didn't opt for the optional rosenut veneer

mrblur wrote:fuck "...spouse friendly.." I'm in... To rich for my taste. I'm happy with my m-audio speakers. Love to hear what you have to say!

m-audio is creatives professional line if i remember correctly?
East

View user profile http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 pm

AV-40's are the bomb!!! That is all.

PhotoOtaku

View user profile http://twitter.com/Photootaku

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:52 pm

Plebes.

I am liking Hsu more by the minute; I placed my order this morning at about 10:00am Central and they called at 1:00 to answer a question I put on my order form, while letting me know that they were prepping it to ship this afternoon. Picking an order of a piece of equipment like that from an online order in three hours, and shipping it after that? Not too shabby. Depending on FedEx issues with Black Friday week, I could have the thing by this weekend.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Iago wrote:Picking an order of a piece of equipment like that from an online order in three hours, and shipping it after that? Not too shabby. Depending on FedEx issues with Black Friday week, I could have the thing by this weekend.

I would suspect they don't do that large a volume based on the level of equipment they offer compared to an off the shelf brand. That level of service is also part of what your paying for in addition to the equipment.
East

View user profile http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:04 pm

East wrote:
Iago wrote:Picking an order of a piece of equipment like that from an online order in three hours, and shipping it after that? Not too shabby. Depending on FedEx issues with Black Friday week, I could have the thing by this weekend.

I would suspect they don't do that large a volume based on the level of equipment they offer compared to an off the shelf brand. That level of service is also part of what your paying for in addition to the equipment.

One would indeed suspect, but it generally does not work out that way. A lot of internet-direct audio dealers have a very small staff that can frequently be inadequate even for lower volume products. The reality is that they can sometimes give you a Voodoo-esque "soon" for a committment. Even Oppo, who are very well-regarded for their service, does not ship that quickly. (My BD-83 took a day or two before they shipped it, and that was fast relative to many other vendors out there.)

By the way, in response to your earlier comment, no, I did not go for the rosewood veneer. This sub will go behind my seating position and be blocked by my home theatre chairs, so no one will see it unless I show it to them. Besides, the rosewood would not have matched my Vandersteens, which are light maple trim. But since that is just the top and bottom caps, and the rest of the speakers are really covered in a black cloth "sock," the black version of the ULS-15 will work just fine.

Old picture, but you get the idea:

Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Just got my tracking email from FedEx! Not bad!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Nip and tuck those wires......I take it its the movie Room
mrblur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:54 am

That is a quick picture from when I set the speakers up the day that I got them, and not quite accurate to how it looks now. But no, there is no nipping and tucking. We are talking very different wiring from what you are used to. For one thing, the speakers are bi-wired, with seperate runs to the higher-frequency drivers and the lower frequency drivers. The primary crossover for the internal subs is actually located between the amplifier and the preamp, so the unlike most biwire setups the wires are actually carrying different fequencies to the speakers, so I keep them well seperated. In fact, the speaker wires are now spread out even more than in that photo, so that there is at least 2" of clearance between them to prevent any interference. So they will always be visible and not "tucked." I am just using Blue Jeans Belden cable right now, and I may someday upgrade them to some of the less expensive Kimbers, which are a bit more attractive than the plain grey jacket.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Glad you found a sub that you're happy with. Since your last post was today and you did not mention that the sub arrived, I have to assume it's still in transit or arrived this evening (possible since you got the FedEx slip on Monday)?

Looking forward to hearing your impressions, and to updated pics if you're willing. We'll be more than happy to critique your cable set-up some more.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:10 am

Well, the FedEx tracking is projecting a Monday delivery, which sucks not just because I cannot play with it over the weekend, but also because I am not sure how to pull off being there to sign for it on my Mondays, short of calling in sick.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:16 pm

Cough cough.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:56 pm

Tempting. Regardless, I have to figure out how to make it work.

When I have a chance, I will go into why I opted for the Hsu, but in a nutshell the sealed box won out. The Vandersteen has a passive radiator, which technically makes it vented. But I will go into more detail when I can.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Did you get things worked out?
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Sadly, no. I was hoping to get someone to housesit and wait for it, but to no avail. I ended up having to divert it to a FedEx center in one of the towns on my sales route. Now the challenge is going to be getting it into a car. I may take our LaCrosse tomorrow instead of the company car; worse case, I can put it in the trunk and bungee the lid down.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Denied! The truck does not come into the FedEx center in the town I selected until 6:00pm or so, and I will be gone by then. I will have to try tomorrow instead. Well, I had a Board meeting tonight, so it is not like I could play with it anyway. I did, however make that tragic mistake of posting in the ULS-15 thread on the AVS forums to ask if anyone had set one up as an LFE-only sub and if they had any suggestions, and it quickly turned surreal. I defended myself for a while and gave up. Unbelievable.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:11 pm

what do they know.... all read on the last part of your post was "blah,,,blah....blah"

I'm taking your making them go boom, boom.

mrblur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:03 am

I will put it into terms that you can understand, Blur: it was like going to a PC forum, asking a very simple and specific PC-related question, and having them give an elaborate solution for the Mac. After pointing out that I do not have a Mac, then they got uppity and told me that they were giving me advice based on years of experience and if I did not like it, then take a hike.

I had some extra things to do in town last evening and so I chanced sticking around in the hopes that I would get the call, and it arrived at 5:30. I dashed over to the FedEx center and picked it up, though it took me nearly a half hour to figure out how to get it into my car. Ultimately I had to partially unbox it. I barely made it to my meeting. But I have my toy in the house! Now I just have to wait until this evening to play with it. Ugh.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:45 pm

I had to do some digging, but found the AVS thread. Entertaining from this side of the computer, but I'm sorry you got that kind of response. Not particularly helpful.
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05 pm

Ye gods, I almost lost it on that one. The question was simple; if you do not have an answer for it, then please do not answer! I have not checked back since my last reply. I figure that it is best to avoid more frustration.

I did get the thing hooked up, but since we had my wife's family's Thanksgiving last weekend and work has been busy, I have not had time to adjust it yet. I definitely need to fiddle with placement more. My plan is first to use the test tones from the AIX Blu-Ray to set rough levels, then swap cables on the back of my player to feed the right or left channel into the sub instead, then play various tones to look for peaks and valleys and try to adjust the placement until I get the most even response. It also has a room gain compensation dial that may help to reduce some peaks from the gain from room boundaries. After that, swap the cables back and set levels again. Fiddly, but should work well enough.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:31 pm

I got to read a few posts past your departure. I think a couple of different people tried to help.

Regardless, are you all set up now?
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Not quite to my satisfaction; not enough time. I need to monkey with placement a bit more. I have a major 40-50hz hump to smooth out.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum