» Camper Redo
Today at 5:14 pm by East

» ADOR's Hot Rods
Today at 5:09 pm by East

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm by BlindLemon77

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

» My Voodoo Omen case is now empty sitting in our basement...
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am by Rozzinator

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Tablet for Mom

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tablet for Mom

Post  ADOR on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:47 am

When I was first in Dubai I got a couple of the cheap overseas android tablets. My girlfriend got one of them and I keep the smaller one for travel. My kids got it out playing with it and I forgot it when I went to work. When I came back I discovered the kids had left it at moms house next door and she had found out how to play cards on it. She used it for several months till the power plug gave it up and the tablet wouldn't boot even with a full battery.

I have been thinking about getting her, her own personal one. I am still reading up on some of the deals that have popped up lately and want to get her a brand name one. Right now I am looking at blackberry playbook, kindle fire, dell streak, acer iconia and couple of others. Have any of you played with any of these here lately?

I have even considered a Ipad or Ipad 2 used.

I know she will do a few simple games, she does cross word puzzles like crazy so I will have to come up with something for that. She doesn't read as much as she use to and "embrace" technology isn't her thing. Last year was a big step for her. First pc, yahoo messenger and facebook to keep up with family and to check dad's pay stubs as that is all online now.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tablet for Mom

Post  Iago on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:16 pm

I am typing this message on a DTR, so no help here, sorry! But I am sure that East or Blur will chime in.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IBNotRich on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:50 pm

I have had all three versions of the iPad have liked all of them. My niece has the Kindle Fire and seemed to really enjoy it right at first. However, she says the battery life is terrible and it now pretty much just sits on a shelf. She would rather play with her broken screen hand-me-down android phone with its own battery issues...since it still lasts longer than the Fire.
IBNotRich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  El Mago on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:30 am

Tha wife is addicted to her original iPad, plays games and loves them - great for me as she is considerate, I think, of my time on SWTOR. Did get an iPad 3 for me self and love tha thing.
El Mago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:48 am

What I've had around the house recently:

HP Touchpad <CyanogenMod-ed> runs as stable as WebOS after you tinker a bit, ...but I always seem to tinker so I wouldn't give this one to mom. My niece has it right now, might be broken.

Kindle Fire, I can stream 3 movies and the battery will get down to 15% I think that's pretty good. If your reading or playing a game where you can shut wifi off I think you can go for a day. My 5 year old uses this for baby Sudoku type games, might be broken.

Archos 101 G9 Turbo w/250gb HDD, this thing can read about any media file you can throw at it and has the space to store a ton of movies on it. Battery life is fair, it needs a dedicated charger (no USB charging) and sadly we've been caught out and about without it. Sad The build quality is fair, this thing is twisty. My 7 year old uses this one mostly, it might be broken.

Of the 3, I grab the Kindle Fire most often, ...mostly to check woot or do quick internet searches.

PhotoOtaku

View user profile http://twitter.com/Photootaku

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:10 am

Might be broken, I have seemed to spot a pattern there.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:02 am

Let's just say, I'm in a situation where my 5 yo & 7 yo are > than a 22 yo, regarding common sense. However, giving tablets to toddlers probably isn't the greatest idea either. I'm excited to announce that the Fire & Archos made it through another day!!!

Have you looked into the Nexus 7? Looks pretty good too.

PhotoOtaku

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 am

All my kids have there own laptop. Drako has had one since he was 2. They all started out with CF-28 toughbook. DVD drive, compact flash to ide adapter for SSD drive, N-light version of xp. 800 or 1000 mhz P3 with 64 mb intel 855 graphics. 512 or 768 ram, rubber spill proof keyboard. My youngest is now 6 and last year they all got moved up. Oldest has a gobook 3 with GPS, back lit keyboard, 2gb ram, ati 9000, 1.8 pentium m, daughter has Toughbook CF-50 Mk4 with 1.7 Pentium M, 1.5 gb ram, ati 9600, Middle boy has CF-73 toughbook mk3, 1.73 Pentium M, 1.5 gb ram, ati 9000, Youngest now has CF-50 Mk4 1.7 Pentium M, 1.5 gb ram, ati 9600. The CF-50 remind me of a panasonic version of the CL-50/56 or voodoo M355/360. Very similar in size and weight, screen size. The middle boy could of had a 50 model too but wanted one with a handle on it. I am still saving some to get a CF-31. The new I5 version has a ATI 6750 and can still be ran over and work.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:07 am

I never got into the tablet thing, but the two folks in my study group last year use tablets: one an iPad and the other a Playbook. I tinkered with both. The Playbook was fine for viewing PDFs, general surfing and the like, but the iPad's interface was slicker, its screen was crisper, and its overall speed was better. Couple that with RIM's declining stock and overall company valuation, I think I'd stay clear of a Playbook unless you can find one for a screaming deal and need it only for basic tasks (which might suit your mom just fine). As to how the iPad stacks against others, I think IB, PO and El Mago have offered some thoughts there. Given your mom's needs, I'd be tempted to go with whatever one offered the best price given features offered.

Last edited by Seamaster on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seamaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:41 am

Toughbooks were well named. Those things could take some abuse -- and I know some salespeople who abused them!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Just out:

PhotoOtaku

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Iago wrote:Toughbooks were well named. Those things could take some abuse -- and I know some salespeople who abused them!

I started with a CF-28 too and have worked up to a CF-30. They have a ton of ports on the inside for options that can be used to mod in just about anything you want. I haven't ran one over but have a few that have been though some rough stuff. There newer ones are the semi-rugged and business class machines. So they aren't as water resistant. I have to keep an eye out on them.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:50 pm

Whats the point in calling it a tough book if you cant leave it outside in the rain or run it over...
East

View user profile http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:31 am

Well, in our case the most common issue is good old-fashioned dropping them. That rarely caused problems for a Toughbook, but having personally dropped one of the little Dells that we use now, I can vouch for the fact that bad things happen! (In my own defense, someone bumped in to me and knocked it out of my hands, but that kind of thing is inevitable "in the field.")
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:20 am

Well i have the Nexus 7 and it's going back. I pre-ordered on June 28th and just got it this past Monday. Let me say I was really disappointed with screen and fit/finish.

- Screen has a washed out look no matter how much I adjust the screen, but apparently some are not bothered by it so I suspect too much fanboy opinion. Also the center screen seems to have a bulged it's noticable.

I haven't really played with it much. What I did notice, but after holding it for awhile the border seems to be to large.

Hey East I did get your paypal, I just haven't had time this week. I was at site this week with no or little cell/ data reception. I should box it up today and try to make it to the fedex drop off. But I have long drive home today, so I will try my best.
mrblur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:47 am

Acer Iconia A200 refurb on Sellout.woot today. $199, that's about $100 off the price of a brand new one.

Acer Iconia 7-19-2012

PhotoOtaku

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 pm

I missed out on a "cheapskate" deal a couple of days ago on that tablet. It was sold out before I seen it. 159 shipped.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top