» Camper Redo
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:38 pm by ADOR

» ADOR's Hot Rods
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:09 pm by East

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm by BlindLemon77

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

» My Voodoo Omen case is now empty sitting in our basement...
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am by Rozzinator

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

HP HDX Dragon HDD failed, ...so is it worth spending some $$$ to see it melt?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HP HDX Dragon HDD failed, ...so is it worth spending some $$$ to see it melt?

Post  PhotoOtaku on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Refresher: Late 2000 lappy, based on the Santa Rosa platform mine has an Meron T8100 (2.1GHz), 2x2gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS (512mb ram), and a 20.1" screen.

So the HDD sounds like R2-D2, maybe worse..., I think I'll pick up a SSD & a HDD for it.

Now, this is the question:...

Think it's worth picking up a Penryn X9000 for it, and OC'ing it (via throttle stop)? I have no need to, but it would be fun, my fear is all the heat will shorten the life of the 8800M GPU., quickly.

What say you all...?

PhotoOtaku

View user profile http://twitter.com/Photootaku

Back to top Go down

Re: HP HDX Dragon HDD failed, ...so is it worth spending some $$$ to see it melt?

Post  El Mago on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Yep!, Twisted Evil

El Mago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HP HDX Dragon HDD failed, ...so is it worth spending some $$$ to see it melt?

Post  PhotoOtaku on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Yup, that's exactly what I'm expecting.

Jumping from 2.1GHz to 3.4GHz really can't be to good for thermal management, ...when having a tube of EVGA Frostbite is the only tool in my thermal management quiver.

PhotoOtaku

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Thats why real gamers use desktops. Well one of the reasons.
East

View user profile http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:24 am

My Digital Storm based on the Clevo X7200 still runs cool even playing games at maximum settings. They really did an awesome job with that platform; it may have minor issues with things like the keyboard layout, but from a thermal management perspective they seem to have done better than anyone else so far. All that I have done to help is buy a $15 passive thermal pad (which just raises the bottom of the chassis off the desk for better airflow, and frankly sticking a few coasters under the feet would have pretty much done the same thing.) The fans in it are not exactly silent, but they are no worse (and probably actually quieter) than the ones in my RAGE.

Hopefully when I decide to upgrade a few years down the road there will be something similar.
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheeMrBastage on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:53 am

So PO, how do you like the 8800M? My last lappie Dell Inspiron 1720 (which I thought was dead, had the new PC built by my wife, then she fixed the lappie and is using it herself as my old XPS Gen2 she was using shit the bed) has the 8600M-GT GPU and it has to be the suckiest video card ever made. They put them in Mac Powerbooks as well and the Apple users complained even louder than I did. So glad NVidia came up to the plate and started releasing drivers as Dell never did and NVidia got tired of listening to the complaints.

Remind me to tell you about the time last Summer when the black helicopters were flying over our street and followed Wendy for a few blocks until she gave them the finger...and shortly after that, Wendy wakes up one morning to find the boot.ini file MISSING from the XPS and the ext HDD erased and reformatted. All this because she was direct messaging Obama on Twitter and asking why he's not coming forward regarding his trip to Mars via teleporter 1980-83. That's what happens when one starts a truther web site and starts looking deep under the propaganda that is main stream media. This past year or so has been a major wake up call for us. The stuff that's hidden sure does boggle the mind.
TheeMrBastage

View user profile http://readyfortheshift.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:34 pm

No problems with the 8800 GTS, I'm just scared of abusing it. I have a feeling there is something proprietary from HP involved with it, ...and I don't feel like sourcing and paying for another one. The HDX "Dragon" came in 2 flavors regarding GPUs, and the 8800 from Nvidia by far outperformed the ATI 2600 series card.

RE: Wendy's truther web site, no comment. I know nothing, saw nothing. Got it.

PS. Have to get back to work on my zombie /BOV.

PhotoOtaku

Back to top Go down

Post  TheeMrBastage on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:52 am

Did someone say Zombies??? Wink

You know, now that Nvidia is supplying the updated drivers for Notebook GPUs, it's much easier to use the older hardware. Smile
TheeMrBastage

View user profile http://readyfortheshift.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:47 am

PhotoOtaku wrote:Refresher: Late 2000 lappy, based on the Santa Rosa platform mine has an Meron T8100 (2.1GHz), 2x2gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS (512mb ram), and a 20.1" screen.

So the HDD sounds like R2-D2, maybe worse..., I think I'll pick up a SSD & a HDD for it.

Now, this is the question:...

Think it's worth picking up a Penryn X9000 for it, and OC'ing it (via throttle stop)? I have no need to, but it would be fun, my fear is all the heat will shorten the life of the 8800M GPU., quickly.

What say you all...?

has been that long since it came out...
mrblur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:51 pm

...yeah, should have read late 2000s, ...mine was from 2009.

PhotoOtaku

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top