» Camper Redo
Today at 5:14 pm by East

» ADOR's Hot Rods
Today at 5:09 pm by East

» I finally joined the OMEN family
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm by BlindLemon77

» voodoo logo - HP
Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm by Engrsky

» One of the Last Omens! After 6 years I got one!
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am by East

» Anyone see the "new" HP OMEN desktop yet?
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am by zxj001

» Hi, can I come in?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm by zxj001

» Blackbird 002 Radiator fit
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm by zxj001

» My Voodoo Omen case is now empty sitting in our basement...
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am by Rozzinator

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

My voodoo collection

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: My voodoo collection

Post  Iago on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:28 am

Ah, Lago. I have not seen him mentioned in some time . . .
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New Rig

Post  JegersnutsenFORGOTPW:) on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:56 am

Finally got my Omen built too:

1155 maximus gene z
DirectCU 570

Sry for the poor pics..

Thinking about red veins here...

JegersnutsenFORGOTPW:)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:48 pm

Are you going to expand the loop to include the video card as well?

As far as the vains go see post #10 here

Obviously it comes in other colors besides blue. You could also continue the case theme and use clear tubes, red coolant and black strain relievers.

I was wondering about the possibility of running a mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol in the loop to prevent algae growth. It is still not as bad as the guys that said they were running actual anti-freeze to do just that.

The coolant dye will stain the tubes you are running it in though. Although being plastic I imagine they would get discolored over time anyway.

Incase you are not in the know you may want to pick up a lian li bezel for your 3rd optical drive so everything matches.
East

View user profile http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Oh I have to ask LC, What brand ccfl's are you using in your coolermaster build? I have heard horror stories about the logisys ones.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Liquid_Cooled on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:58 pm

I was using Logisys CCFL's and the horror stories are true. I've had 3 CCFL invertors burn out. I'll never use CCFL's again, they are way too dangerous to leave unattended. I have LED sunlight sticks in my Rage, but they aren't as bright as CCFL's.

Liquid_Cooled

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:10 pm

I have been considering building my own custom light made out of a bunch of super bright leds wired in series.

I have no doubt that it would function but the aesthetics probably would not be that good.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  JegersnutsenFORGOTPW:) on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:40 am

East wrote:Are you going to expand the loop to include the video card as well?

As far as the vains go see post #10 here

Obviously it comes in other colors besides blue. You could also continue the case theme and use clear tubes, red coolant and black strain relievers.

I was wondering about the possibility of running a mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol in the loop to prevent algae growth. It is still not as bad as the guys that said they were running actual anti-freeze to do just that.

The coolant dye will stain the tubes you are running it in though. Although being plastic I imagine they would get discolored over time anyway.

Incase you are not in the know you may want to pick up a lian li bezel for your 3rd optical drive so everything matches.

Will propably change to red coolant... Currently I'm using so called "battery water"(norwegian expression maybe?) with some anti freeze added... Used to have some plastic wire wrapped around but the clean look is nicer.. Also they still look clean although they are original(I think Razz)

For the third optical drive, are you sure that bezel fits in there?? As you can see in one of the pictures, the lower port is place a little different than the two others, and I think it is made for a fan control or lcd screen to stick out all the way... Does anyone here know of a monitor that matches the case nice with the red theme??

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:10 am

There is an easy enough way to tell. Remove the bezel from bay 1 and leave the one in bay 2. Then try to fit said bezel from bay 1 into bay 3. I don't see why it shouldn't although I don't have an omen-r so I cant say for sure.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  JegersnutsenFORGOTPW:) on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 am

No place to mount Bezel, something the other two bays have....
The mounting is on the removable faceplate...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:25 pm

You know I just realized what you are talking about. You are correct. The rails do not extend down all the way as to allow enough clearance to maneuver the cd face plates into the case.

Now I remember why I planned to run a lian li 5.25" to 4x2.5" rack in that bay...
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Rozzinator on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:59 am

Laugh @ Lago
Rozzinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Well, if it took that to bring you out of seclusion, then I am content with the error!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rozzinator on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:09 pm

I always forget the name of this website... i always try to type in "the other bench" but the url it actually is, is kind of hard to remember, guess i should bookmark it Very Happy

So i have my old voodoo rage desktop from work, but i forget the login username and pw that i had! it's been so long! but supposedly an easy fix, need to get the bf to take a look at it, then my mom can use that computer for internet.
Rozzinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:58 pm

I know what you mean roz, That is why I made a redirect page for it. http://www.mutthaboards.co.cc/. The only problem is sometimes the redirect page is down for maintenance.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:14 pm

That will work, but just bookmark the damned thing already!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Oh and roz, Just get a copy of erd commander and use the lock smith tool to change the password to something you know.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:30 pm

So no more excuses!
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:53 am

Snagged Another one Have to wait till it gets home to see what it is unless one of you can ID it. Thinking 703?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160644270949?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:01 pm

"We do not have an AC adapter to test the unit." Really? Did that model use some oddball power adapter that cannot be simply substituted with something on-hand?
Iago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:44 pm

Iago wrote:"We do not have an AC adapter to test the unit." Really? Did that model use some oddball power adapter that cannot be simply substituted with something on-hand?

I know, but I know a guy now that does motherboard repair, has his own IR machine, so thought I would give it a try. I just got a "dead" CF-73 toughbook and when it came home it powered right up. Turned out the guy didn't have the right style charger. Never know.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:24 pm

I had a number of rather lengthy discussions about d900t repairs on TNB and other various forums so I will try to give you the condensed version.

With all the known d900t issues combined with the fact he lied about not having the power adapter (these things are huge making them damn near impossible to loose and are built to withstand a war) I am going to assume it has a failed motherboard or video card. To my knowledge voodoo stopped making the 703 before the 7800 for it was introduced but you will still want to verify which card it has. If it has the 7800 you have to use the 11a adapter. Even if it has the 6800 I would still opt for the 11a as it does not get burning hot like the 9a does. The original adapters that came with these units was manufactured by li shin. You will want to make sure that the adapter you purchase is a li shin and not a cheap third party one as in most cases it will not supply the power this laptop demands properly and will damage the adapter and in the very worst case could led to a fire. (I think I have an extra authentic 11a I would be willing to let go. We could probably work something out if you wanted.)

If the video card isn't any good it can fry a perfectly good power adapter. When plugging it in for the first time you will want to keep an eye on the green light on the power adapter. If it goes out unplug the adapter as fast as you can. When I was still working we had this issue with a customers unit when diagnosing it and I was able to save the new adapter by getting it unplugged in time.

If you get a v5.2 it isn't even worth fixing because the vrm setup is a very poor design. On v5.2 voltage is supplied to the board by one large vrm which runs very hot. Clevo completely redesigned the vrm setup on v5.3. As best I can tell instead of having one large vrm they have a bunch of smaller ones. Even if you can fix it you may not want to be bothered unless its a high revision board (v6.1+) as those are the only ones that support gf 7800+ video cards.

On a side note it may not necessarily be a u703, If its amd based its a u709.

v5.2 (Poorly designed vrm setup combined with the fact it does not support 6800 ultra+ video cards makes this board a waste of time) (This board can also be identified by the absense of the black heatsink where the video card seats.)
v5.3 (Not plauged with any problems I am aware of. This board supports cards up to the 6800 ultra, Depending on the problem its worth investing some time trying to fix it)
v5.4-v6.0 (I have never seen one. I believe these revision numbers were reserved for use by the d900k)
v6.1 (Can develop a problem where the promise raid controller is no longer detected, I am not sure of the exact cause but when it is not detected it does not appear to be receiving power)
v6.2 (I have one of these and have not found nor heard of one problem to date)

Once you get it running you will want to pickup a fan/heatsink assembly from a unit equipped with the updated 6800 ultra - 7950 version. My 703 came with the earlier one and the redesigned one keeps the 6800 a lot cooler.

Let us know what it needs when you check it out. I have some spare parts lying around.

Depending on what is wrong with your motherboard it may be worth listing on ebay. A while back I put a posting v6.1 with a defective raid controller up and I got $50 for it from somebody that had a 6.1 which was allegedly bricked during a bios update. (Mind you this is when NOS 6.2s boards were still plentiful and could be had for $200 shipped.) Its funny because I also got $50 for my v5.2 w/a burned up vrm because somebody wanted the ide cd daughter board I was including with the mobo.

Going on the price I think you did good unless the paint turns out to be in poor condition.

oh and here is my old 5.2's vrm. Note its proximity to the dc jack and 9 pin serial.

East

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:32 am

Thanks East, think that is all the info I would ever need on that motherboard. It will come in handy. If you ever need help with a toughbook let me know, that is my current string of playtoys besides the voodoo's.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  East on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:26 am

You did good on that d900. I think the only color I would want more then black would be white. And at the price you paid for it you got a good deal.

I am still partial to quake green though.
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:03 am

It was a buy it now, so I kind of acted quick not quite knowing. Anyway it will be a good project when I get these CF-18 Toughbooks I am selling ready to go. I know what you mean about color. I love that m780 white with the black tattoo I have, it's a keeper. Quake green? wouldn't know, I still haven't played quake, lol. I missed out on a lot of games there.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:31 am

Good God, you were right, this thing IS massave. ( I think it's bigger than my M9750)Well here is the damage report. I am pulling the covers off it right now and giving it a look over. I can't test it either, i will have to get one of those 4 prong adapters for it. So far the case looks good, just a few scratches, all covers are here, missing 4 screws from the bottom covers total, CPU is missing (but everything else was put back into place), two 512 mb ram (eyes got big when i seen the 4 slots for ram, never seen that before) 6800 video card, got that burnt chip like in the photo you put up, both hard drives are missing, but the connector is there. Just sounds like the board died and it was stripped for parts somewhere, them the guy who got it didn't have the weird 4 prong charger and said screw it. But I am sure he at least looked around inside if first.

Now just to figure out what revision it is and if it's the bad revision get a newer board. THere are a few to these boards in case said to power on but no video, don't know if they would be worth the trouble. Time to do some more researching.
ADOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top